Chapter 52

We've got a little bit of tension in this chapter 👀 btw I apologize for any typos since I'm on the road and I don't want to get dizzy from reading

Enjoy!

*****

My mind was on a loop the entire time during dinner. It felt like I was on autopilot and I didn't know which button would turn it off.

Why would Charles buy the house? Speaking from past experiences, it was a really good investment to get into real estate, but why this specific house? Didn't he think that buying this would mean we'd have a permanent connection? Buying a house isn't something you decide on after a few weeks– it's something that you think over for months and even ask for the opinion of the other people around you.

There's a thought in the back of my mind that he bought it because of me but I'm not self absorbed enough to convince myself that it's true.

The next day, I found myself waking up earlier than necessary and locking the front door behind me. I was carrying my riding boots and was going to borrow Ace's car to head to the farm once again. I needed to think.

I was about to get into the car when someone cleared their throat and I turned around to see Charles about five feet away from the car. "Going for a ride?" He asked, glancing at my boots.

"Uhm, yes." I stuttered, not knowing what to say. I needed to think away from him.

"Great. I'll come with." He said and plucked the car keys from my hand.

"But–"

"Valentine." He said, showing me a small smile as he opened the door of the car.

"Yeah?"

"Just get in the car." I gave up and walked to the other side of the car, placing the riding boots just by my feet. We were both silent on our way to the farm and even during the short walk it took to head to Midnight. She was still here and I couldn't fight the smile on my face as I lightly placed my hand by her forehead.

"Hey, girl." I whispered, giggling when she stepped forward to move closer to me.

"Ecco il tuo." [Here's yours.] The owner of the farm said as she handed him the reigns of a white Ventasso. "Il suo nome è Echo." [His name's Echo.]

"You're riding?" I asked, voice laced with surprise as Charles climbed on Echo's back with the help of a small stool. I did the same with Midnight and we both made our way to the fields. The sun had just risen so there was still a cold breeze outside.

"I have some thinking to do as well." Charles answered, eyes on the horizon in front of us. What would he have to think about? I didn't respond and just let the silence wrap around us as we both slowly moved away from the farm. It would've been natural to signal to Midnight to speed up but with the atmosphere around us, it felt more fitting to take things slow and serene.

Not minding that the subject of my thoughts was just a few feet from my right, I let myself backtrack to the conversation I had with Pierre. He refused to share anymore after I asked him a bunch of questions so I tried to subtly ask questions from the others last night.

It looked like Pierre was the only one aware that Charles had bought the house because when I brought up the subject of Charles being able to rent the house on such short notice, Aurora and Leo looked just as confused as me. The owner must've been a fan, she said as she made some finishing touches for the food we were going to eat for dinner.