Chapter 19

Down the ominous dark halls of the compound Arachnia walked, footsteps echoing loudly. Her expression was blank, her optics unfocused as she stared straight ahead, seeming to have no direction in mind. However, after rounding a corner, placing her servo on the wall beside her, a single tear was seen escaping from underneath her helmet. That was enough to open the flood gates.

Her tears began to flow freely, denta being grit tight, head being held low, as she crumbled onto her knees. Sobs, loud guttural sobs threaten to escape her vocalizer, but she fought to keep it down. But it was so hard. Her chassis felt too tight, with this uncomfortable pressure that made her just want to scream.

Damn it...DAMN IT!

Why did he have to come here?! Was some measly criminal really worth all this trouble? Couldn't he see she was trying to rebuild her life? She wanted to move forward, she wanted to leave the past behind, but him coming in here and intruding on her personal space was pushing her limits. This was her world. Her sanctum. Why couldn't he just leave it alone? Why did he have to keep talking? Kelly was hers, she found Kelly, Kelly was her sparkling! It was none of his business.

Her world...

This was her world, he had no part of it! She didn't want him to be a part of it! Why couldn't he just leave her alone?! Why couldn't he just leave THEM alone?! Why can't he understand that he's just hurting her more?! She wants her peace, is that too much to ask?!

Throughout her raging inner rant, she didn't notice small footsteps approach her.

"Momma?"

Arachnia was startled but looked up to see Kelly standing in front of her, being rather close to her face since Arachnia was sitting on the floor with her head turned down.

The child stared up at her, wide eyes expressing concern. "Momma...are you crying?"

Arachnia cleared her vocalizer, attempting to recompose herself. "I'm fine, Sunny, dont worry."

But it seemed her words did not convince the child because Kelly toddled over to where Arachnia's servo rested on the floor. Arachnia smiled and turned her servo palm side up, Kelly stepping on and proceeding to hug Arachnia's thumb. The techno organic felt a comforting warmth settle into her spark, her tumultuous emotions and thoughts finally settling down.

What did she do to deserve such a sweet sparkling in her life?

Kelly let out a little yawn.

"Alright you, I think it's about time you recharge," Arachnia chuckled, also feeling the days weariness settle in on her shoulders.

In their shared room, Arachnia tucked Kelly in, the child still refusing to release her hold on Arachnia's digit. "Kelly, Im going to need that back," Arachnia chuckled.

"No," Kelly mumbled, squishing her cheek against the aforementioned appendage as she tightened her hold, "You're gonna go away again if I let go."

Arachnia frowned. "No, I'm not."

"Yes, you do!" Kelly exclaimed.

Arachnia was taken aback by the sudden outburst. Kelly...actually sounded frustrated, angry even.

"You disappeared when we were staying in the cave, and then we moved to this island. I thought we would get to be together but you're always working! You don't spend time with me anymore Momma! I don't like it!"

Kelly then proceeded to bury her face in Arachnia's digit. "I don't want to be alone again Momma..."

The manner of how Kelly spoke those words felt a lot heavier than simply being hurt by Arachnia's absence. It had been a while since Arachnia was reminded that Kelly was indeed an orphan, meaning she must have been alone before Arachnia found her. It was slightly odd; she barely knew anything about Kelly's past. She recalled during their initial encounter when she brought this up and Kelly immediately tensed up. Given how Arachnia herself had a past she would rather not speak of, she recognized that need for personal boundaries and never again brought it up, almost forgetting about it entirely. It made Arachnia wonder what type of life the child lived before ending up in those woods, starved, cold, and on the brink of death.