42

ARIA

I didn't know whether to be surprised or not.

Sandro looked at me—catching the expression on my face and I saw the concern in his eyes. He was worried about me, and I wasn't sure if the reason was because he killed someone, or because the man who tried to kill us was someone we were both familiar with.

He murmured something to Carlo, speaking his mother tongue and Carlo nodded. I saw flashing lights in the distance—blue and red and it wasn't long before I heard the siren.

Sandro gestured with his hand, and the men surrounding him nodded their heads before rushing back into the van they came with. Sandro approached the car, still holding his gun as he opened the door.

"Move over, bellissima," he said, and I scooted over onto the passenger seat. My legs were shaking, but Sandro laid his palm on my knee and instantly calmed me.

Sandro started the car, but he didn't move. He took a deep breath in, closing his eyes as he dropped his head. I opened my mouth to speak, not even sure what I wanted to say—but before I could utter the words, Sandro was reaching over to embrace me into a tight hug.

"Sandro— the police," I muttered, but still wrapping my arms around him. I watched over his shoulder as nearly a dozen headlights started approaching the burning van. My eyes widened. They weren't very far away.

He let go of me, holding my cheek to give me a soft kiss on my forehead. When he pulled away, he seemed a lot less stressed than he did a minute ago.

"Don't worry about the police," he said, putting the car in drive. He didn't speed away. While he drove slowly, he picked up his phone and dialled a number.

The conversation was background noise as I watched the lights—how could I not worry about them? It was the authorities. Sandro mentioned a detective on the call, and I became aware that he was actually talking to the cops. I sighed and slumped into my seat. Sometimes I forgot the power Sandro held.

"Take care of that for me, Detective," he said, and ended the call. As soon as his phone was down, he started accelerating

"Sandro, I don't understand. Why would Kian do this?" I asked breathlessly, clasping onto my seatbelt to pull it over my chest.

"We're about to find out," he said, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

I grimaced, anxiously bouncing my knee as I sat at the table. Kian was in the basement, directly underneath us and I could hear the muffled and low screams.

I looked at Carlo who Sandro had assigned to be my unofficial babysitter while he attempted to get any information out of Kian. He was leaning his elbows on the table, a phone in his hand and a stoic expression on his face.

"Stop worrying, Aria," Carlo said, setting his phone down. I stopped bouncing my knee.

"I'm not worried, Carlo," I argued, and he gave me a bored look.

"Okay, I'm a little worried, but I'm worried about Sandro. I hope he's okay," I said, crossing my arms.

"You're worried that he's okay while he's beating the shit out of someone?" Carlo chuckled, and this time I gave him the bored look.

"That someone probably deserves it," I murmured, biting my lip. I was also mad at the fact that a perfectly good night got ruined.

"You are the only reason Kian is still breathing right now. Alessandro will let him live until he finds out why he tried to kill you," Carlo said—and I nodded because Sandro had said the exact same words to me.