CHAPTER TWELVE

Keefe had more fun in base quest on Friday than any other time.

He remembered wishing they had someone else to play with, and now, they did.

Except Sophie had almost magically found out where Keefe and Fitz were. This girl was getting more mysterious by the second.

Since they all knew her better, Keefe, Biana, and Fitz sat with her at lunch.

Sophie sat with Marella, a level two, Dex, another level two, and Jensi, another level two.

Marella and Jensi kept giggling and staring at the Vackers. Marella did her fair share of staring at Keefe, too. Nothing Keefe wasn't used to, and Marella seemed more interested in Fitz.

Dex, on the other hand, did NOT look happy with the new members of their table. He kept grumbling about, "Wonderboy" and "Think they're so cool" and "What did I do to deserve this?"

Sophie heard him, and Keefe knew she was feeling concerned and the teensiest bit annoyed.

"Hey, Dex," Sophie said. Dex looked up from his tray. "Can you come over after school today?"

He glared at Fitz before his eyes met hers. "You don't have other plans?"

She ignored his snipe. "I was hoping you'd tutor me in alchemy. I'm going to need help before midterms, and you're the best alchemist I know."

Dex straightened up at the compliment. "Sure, if you really need me." His smile was so large, it seemed the teensiest bit suspicious. It was just the smallest compliment.. Keefe decided to test if his suspicions were true, so he reached over the table to "grab the salt" (Because I decided Foxfire Tables should have salt on them) and brushed Dex's arm as he pulled the salt toward him.

Oh, wow..

Keefe was right.

Keefe wagged a finger at her. "Aw, don't go getting good at alchemy, Foster. Who else can we count on to destroy Lady Galvin's capes?"

"Don't worry, I don't think Sophie can ever get good at alchemy," Marella told him. "Do you have any idea how many things she's exploded?"

Ooh, this sounds like fun!

"There've been other explosions?" He flashed Sophie a wicked grin. "This I have to hear."

Sophie sighed as Marella filled everyone in on her almost weekly explosions.

Keefe laughed his head off at every one, but they were hilarious.

Sophie didn't seem to think so, but it benefited her in one way.

Keefe learned how fun it was to annoy her.

Okay, fine. That wasn't really benefiting her.

***************

Keefe got detention in the next class. It wasn't his fault this time, though. Keefe was in Alchemy. And he's actually pretty good at Alchemy, except when he was carrying hot water, his mentor suddenly appeared behind him.

It didn't help that he was a vanisher.

Of course, Keefe freaked out and jumped out of his skin because his mentor was NOT there before.

And the hot water... fell. Right on his mentor.

When everything was settled, the mentor turned on him. It wasn't even Keefe's fault!

"Detention tomorrow! And the day after that! Now go to the healing center and get that burn on your hand fixed. AND STAY THERE!"

"Ugh, this is the worst thing to go to detention for. Couldn't they have figured out about the reekrod yet?" Keefe muttered.