CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Hands

"Now, tell me, (Y/N), why are you depressed?"

Heaving a long, dramatic sigh, I flopped further over the crates I was laying upon, the back of my hand pressed to my forehead.
"Oh, dear Heat, my heart longs to be reunited with my precious hat. I risked life and limb to obtain it, and now we have been torn apart. Oh, sweet hat, where for art thou?!"

Heat chuckled quietly as he watched me writhe in faux emotional distress, his hand at the ready to save my head in case I leaned too far.
"How did you manage to steal Hawkeye's hat, anyway?"

Immediately sitting upright, I crossed my legs and grinned, excited to share one of my stupid little stories with someone. I had never been able to tell them to Paulie, because he would have sent bounty hunters from every corner of the earth to capture me and bring me home to a prison of cotton wool.

"Okay, so, about a year ago I was wandering around near the Drum Islands, right? Slim pickins that area, for a thief. Anyway, I was ready to pack it up and call it quits when all of a sudden, who do I find taking am afternoon siesta by the docks? Dracule Mihawk himself!"

Heat seemed genuinely intruiged by my tale, and it made me happy. Even if he was just humouring me so I wouldn't be offended.
"He always has that hat on, though. How did you manage to get it?" He asked curiously, kind of leaning in to hear better.

"I'm glad you asked, my friend! He wasn't wearing it this time, it was kind of resting right up against his arm, to his side." I explained, using my hands to try and give him the best visual I could give. "Now, I know it was stupid trying to steal from the world's greatest swordsman, but you should know me by now. I'm greedy, and I like a challenge!"

"You sure do." Wire had joined now, leaning against the barrel Heat was sitting on and I beamed, loving the positive attention.
"So, what did this little ol' lass do? She crept aboard, of course! Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure he was awake the whole time, but anyway..."

I'm a bazillion percent sure he was.

"Slowly, I tip-toed closer...and closer...and closer...until-"
"He jumped up and cut your tits off!" Feeling two hands squeeze at my sides I nearly jumped a thousand feet into the air, screeching in shock. Heat and Wire, along with the captain to blame, broke out into hysterical laughter, and I smacked my hand against Kid's chest.
"You douche! I was just getting to the good part! I nearly pissed my pants!"

Proudly smirking, Kid just stood there, tall and happy with himself for scaring me.
"Ain't nothin' interesting about it if he just let you take it." He shrugged, and that was when I noticed that there, upon his head, was the exact hat I had been talking about.

I was on my feet in an instant, trying to use the crates to give me a height advantage, but he quickly stepped out of reach.
"Give it! Your dumb spikey hair is gonna make it all weird!" I complained, stamping my foot like a spoilt child.

"Sharing is caring, little bitch." Kid tutted, toying with the long feather draping over the back of the hat. "I never said I'd be giving this back. You still owe me." I knew there was no way I'd win a fight to get it back, but I wasn't going to just lay down with my tail between my legs, either.

"I swear to god, I'll-"
"Aw, don't tease her, Boss. We all know you asked Heat to stitch it up for her." Wire commented, trying to hide his amusement. Kid's demeanour changed instantly, his cheeks flaring as his face dropped. Making some kind of strangled grunting noise, he ripped the hat off and smacked it down on my head, stomping off in the direction of his cabin.
"Fuck off! I didn't ask shit like that! Screw you!"

Whilst the other crew members cackled and wheezed, I pulled the hat off and studied it closely. It had certainly been repaired, and by a steady hand at that. Clutching it tightly to my chest for a few moments, I put it back on my head properly before jumping from the crates and into Heat's chest.