Chapter Forty-one

*A/N: Hello ya'all, I really hope you enjoy this chapter because it was a lot harder to write than I thought it was gonna be. I think the grief totally drained me of inspiration. I have a couple of review questions to answer. Some of you wanted to know if I planned to continue with the plot of VD after Elara's story was complete or if I planned to just jump straight into The Originals. Well, I wanted to of course introduce a few of the plot points that happen in TVD, like Kai, Enzo, and Silas, but I plan to do it a bit differently. Elara will of course be in New Orleans handling her own drama but as we all know, Elena and the others will still need her help. As for Elara's backstory: William, etc, I plan to go into that in the next book, since you all have decided you want one. There will also be some more of it in this one as well. Don't worry, she will definitely be learning about what happened to her son, as will all of you. The Originals plot will be bits and pieces with loads of my own mixed in. I hope you all like those ideas and this latest chapter. As always, please leave a review! This chapter is unedited. *

Oxygen filled my lungs in a startled gasp and I shot up in bed, lifting myself by the elbow. My chestnut hair fell into my eyes as I lowered my head, taking deep breaths. I looked around and my nervous energy subsided the moment I recognized the different pieces of furniture that established I was in my room. My brain struggled to process those last few memories that still lingered, reminding me that what I had gone through was not a dream but reality. Slowly, I slid my legs off the bed, furrowing my brows with mild annoyance. I was alone with no one around to watch over me. I had just died, I would have at least expected my sister to be at my side. The sheer pink curtains in my room were drawn but I could see that the sun had yet to rise. Whatever plan B had been, it had worked perfectly. Standing to my feet, my legs shook violently, my entire body protesting the movement. I extended my arms to steady my balance and headed toward the door. My fingers gripped the knob and I tried for a moment to turn it, but I didn't seem to have enough strength in my hand. I laid my forehead against the door and placed my palm flat against the surface, patting gently.

"Ellie? I'm awake. Hello?" I said, my voice cracking.

I was met with silence for a few minutes until a loud rustling erupted directly across the hall. I smiled, knowing instantly that the noise was coming from Elara's room. She must have needed to change or make a quick call. It was just like her to not want to disturb me. I could hear rustling, like shoes on the carpet, and stepped backward. The knob wiggled before the door swung open to reveal the ashen face of Stefan Salvatore. I was surprised by his lackluster appearance. His hair was flat and lifeless, obviously lacking its usual ounce of gel. His eyes and nose were puffy and hued in red, and his clothes were wrinkled and spotted with dirt and mud. I backed away, crossing my arms with narrowed eyes. He stood in the middle of my doorway and lowered his hazel eyes. "You're awake, that's good," he simply stated.

My stomach dipped at his strange behavior, there was no relief, surprise, or awkwardness about him, just thick exhaustion bordering on shame. It left me feeling oddly sick and completely terrified. I glanced behind him, hoping to see Elara or even Jeremy, but there was no one else. Where was everybody? I stepped closer but Stefan immediately matched my movements, blocking my way. The hair on my arms stood on end. "Stefan, get out of the way. You can see, I'm fine, just as we said I would be. I'm ready to see my family now. I'm sure Elara has a lot on her plate and could use the help," I said through gritted teeth.

Stefan winced, his expression crumpling with pain, and he turned his head away, refusing to meet my gaze. I felt sick. Something was wrong and he was trying to hide it from me. "Stefan, what are you doing?" I said, my tone hostile.