→ 𝙞.

---------------------------------------------

"WHAT EXACTLY ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING FOR IN THIS SHITHOLE?" STEVE ASKED NANCY, THE WHOLE GROUP WATCHING THE TWO PRY THE DOOR OPEN TO THE CREEL HOUSE. "We're not sure. We just know this house is important to Vecna." Nancy spoke, Max awkwardly stood behind them. "Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?" He asked, the ginger girl gulping. "Basically." Nancy shrugged, Steve huffing as he got a nail off. "Great." He spoke, Dustin shrugging. "Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max." Robin nodded in agreement, Nancy looking to Steve.

"We don't think he's in here, do we?" Lucas asked from his spot next to Max, Dustin glancing to the ground. "Guess we'll find out." Max shrugged herself, earning a look from Lucas. "It's locked." Steve spoke, Max staring at the door. You're not supposed to be here, Max- "Should I knock? See if anyone's home?" Steve asked, Robin shaking her head. "No need. I found a key." She spoke, everyone seeing her hold up a brick. Chucking it through the stained window, Steve awkwardly moved forward, feeling for the doorknob. The door creaked as Steve went through first, everyone following behind slowly. "Looks like someone forgot to pay their electric bill." Lucas spoke, sighing at one of the lamps that didn't work as Steve closed the door behind them.

He stood behind Dustin, the boy turning on a flashlight in front of him. Staring at him, Steve huffed. "Where'd everyone get those?" He asked, now realising everyone had a flashlight but him. "Do you need to be told everything?" Steve looked down to meet Dustin's judgmental eyes. "You're not a child." He continued, Steve scoffing. "Thank you." He smiled sarcastically, earning a nod from Dustin. Taking his backpack off, the boy held it towards Steve. "Back pocket." He informed, Steve nodding silently. Dropping the backpack on the floor once he got what he needed, everyone searched the downstairs of the home, still close to one another. "They just left everything." Nancy spoke as she observed the living room, Robin humming.

"I guess a triple homicide isn't good for resale value." She let out, Max staring at an object. "Hey, guys?" She called, everyone coming to her side quickly. "You all see that, right?" She asked shakily, Dustin nodding at the Grandfather clock. "Yeah." He confirmed, Steve doing the same. "Is this what you saw? In your visions?" Nancy asked, Robin leaning forward as Max nodded. "I mean... it's just a clock. Right?" Robin asked, wiping the dust from the glass. "Just a normal old clock." Robin assured everyone and herself, Steve sighing. "Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks? Maybe he's like, a clockmaker, or something?" He suggested, Dustin huffing at his friend. "I think you cracked the case, Steve." He let out sarcastically, the elder Harrington boy glaring at him. "All I know is the answers are here. Somewhere."

The Wheeler inhaled sharply, nodding to Robin. "Okay, everyone stay in groups of two. Robin, upstairs." Nancy ordered, Robin saluting as the two left. Max sped to Lucas, gripping his arm. "Let's go." She spoke, leaving a quiet Dustin and Steve. The former gave Steve a kind smile, that same smile dropping once Steve heavily sighed past him and up the stairs. "Was that a sigh?" He asked, following Steve. "No, I did not sigh." Steve shot back, Dustin scoffing. "Why'd you sigh?" He asked, hurt by the teen's reaction. "I didn't sigh. Just come on, dude." Steve huffed, Dustin's eyebrows knotting. "I heard you." He shot out, Steve sighing once more. "W- we're just always partners, okay?" Steve let out, wanting this conversation over with. "What, you have a problem with that?" Dustin challenged, Steve exhaling.