22. Not mine

*Triggerwarning: memories of domestic/child abuse+ slight panic attack*

"Yo, fag!"

I hide my face, terrified he'll find me. Because if he does . . . then it's over. 

The darkness engulfing me slowly turns into something less dark, which means my eyes are getting used to it. I recognize my clothes and take a deep breath. It's just my closet.

"If you don't come out, your boyfriend is gonna get the beating!" I hear him yell again. My eyes close in defeat. So I open the door, revealing my hiding spot.

My dad grins at me. It's that wicked grin he always uses towards me when he's about to do something horribly painful. "Don't hurt him," I whisper, trying to save Ezra. 

Looking around, I realize he's long gone. This was a trick. 

Dad never knew until now. He'd have never approved of me being gay. Neither would Mom. The only person who knew, besides Ezra and the bullies at school, was Nina.

I glance at the door for her, but she's not home. I'm all alone in this mess, and it won't turn out well. That's for sure.

"Well, you finally came out of the closet, huh?" His left eye twitches, showing me this wicked grin is only a preview of what's about to come. 

I normally go for a joke, but this isn't the right time. So I start making up excuses. "Sorry, dad, I was gonna tell you! I just wanted to focus on school first for the scholarship, you know? It's senior year, I can't play around anymore." 

The sound of a fist colliding with the wall stops me from rambling any more. "Cut the crap, Aaron. I would call you my son. I have called you my son. When you picked fights or skipped school. But now? You're not my son. You're a disgusting piece of shit."

My lips shut closed immediately. I didn't think he'd be supportive, but this?

"You're a goddamn fag! A disappointment! What is this?" he seethes. I, for the first time ever, flinch at harsh words. Normally words never hurt me, but these? It's like a bullet.

"It's not that big of a deal, I think," I whisper, looking down now. "I'm just together with a guy instead of a girl, but it's still me, okay? I haven't changed. I'm still your son. Still the one who made you pink breakfast the other day," I attempt to joke, but he ignores it.

I swallow down my fear. His eyes are blazing, his chest is heaving with madness. "Dad—" "If you call me your dad one more time, I'm gonna do worse things than I'm already planning."

My eyes snap to the door. I shouldn't have invited Ezra over today. My dad never works long on Wednesdays, I should have known. 

The door opens, making me breathe in relief. Thank God Nina came home earlier from her boyfriend, dad never gets mad at her and— it's Ezra. With his brother, Silas, who always makes me feel like shit at school.

They both grin wickedly. My breathing's cut short as Dad pushes me against the wall, but my brain only processes now what's really happening.

Ezra wasn't gay, was he? It was all just a big trick to catch me. "D-dad," I struggle, but get his fist collided with my cheek. My soft whimper is the only sound in the room for a second before dad starts to cuss me out.

"I warned you about calling me dad. But I guess I'm lucky, huh? Stansley's kids were so kind to let me know what a fucking bastard you are." I'm sobbing. "B-but why can't you look past it? I know you're not used to it, but everything else is something to be proud of! My grades, the things I do for you, I—"

Black spots dance in front of my eyes as I'm dropped on the floor, which are most likely from Dad cutting off my sentence with a fist to my nose. I cry out in pain.

He turns and nods at the two brothers, talking in a low voice to them. They grin and nod, taking off while I'm still a mess on the floor. Dad turns back to me, and I see nothing but hatred in his eyes.

I gasp for breath. "D-dad, please, I'm your son! Please don't hurt me." I cry harder the more steps he takes back to me. Hiding will make everything worse, but it's the only thing I want to do now.

"You're not my son. I don't raise fags," he spats. I flinch at his harsh words. "If you're not gone from my property by the time Nina comes home, I'm reporting you to the police."

I wince again. "W-why? I didn't do anything wrong!" The spark in his eyes makes even me doubt if I did anything. "Trust me, I can act very convincing."

My eyes close in desperation. "I-I could stay with a friend for a night, I guess." He starts laughing, but it sounds evil. "A night? Aaron, I don't want you gone for a night." I blow out a relieved breath. Thank God.

"I want you gone forever."

My eyes widen and I've never stood up this fast. "W-what? You can't be serious!" But the way he's turned around already, I can tell he is and this conversation is done.

What now? I have nowhere to go.

I gasp, startling awake.

I try to get away from dad, not anything to receive any more beating. I shield myself, panting rapidly. 

The silence in the room has me flinching, until I glance over my arms. I'm alone. I'm alone in a room that's not in my parents' house, and there's no cruel dad or harsh words.

But I can't shake off the feeling. I try to take a deep breath, but it gets stuck and ends up giving me shudders.

I glance at the door. I've locked it to avoid Aiden seeing me affected by his words.

Standing up, I try to hide my trembling hands in my hoodie and unlock my door. Micah's room is the closest, so I silently open his door.

He's deep asleep. Of course, he's just gone through torture, and I don't want to wake him from his much-needed sleep. So I close his door again.

Next door is Seb's. I open it, and am surpised to see him reading with his glasses on. Pleasabtly surprised, that is.

He looks up, his brows rising as he sees me. "Aaron?" Then, "What's wrong?"

I gasp for breath again and close his door. He pats the place on his bed besides him, and I quickly obey.

"What's wrong?" he gently repeats. I hide my face in his chest, feeling myself calm down already.

"I had a nightmare and was kind of freaking out," I whisper. What's the point in lying?

His head dips. He kisses my hair just like earlier tonight, and just like then it relaxes me.

"Were you freaking out because of us?" he asks. I shake my head. Why would I?

His hand is rubbing circles on my back. I can't help but let out a content sigh.

I can sense he wants to ask more, but I'm exhausted. Plus, his actions are lulling me back to sleep, so really, it's his fault.

Not mine.