Chapter Thirty-Two

(Isabella's POV)

Things had been really tough these past couple of days. I felt like I was sinking into the earth. Alfred was struggling in hospital, and although he was okay, it was going to take some time for him to recover. Bruce was beside himself too. Devastated that he couldn't protect Alfred. I knew there was something else going on too, but he didn't talk about it. I did notice some tension between him and Alfred, but I didn't want to pry. What was going on with me could wait. Right now, it wasn't a priority and Bruce was already on edge. I didn't want to make him worry more. I just wanted this over with. Everything just felt like such a mess and I didn't know what I could to fix it. What can you do when someone is after your family? Bruce was being targeted and now it seemed like the killer didn't care who got hurt along the way.

Right now, I was talking with Dory who had just brought me some water. She was concerned for Bruce and Alfred, but I assured her that they'd be okay and that she should go home to be with her daughters for a few days just to make sure she was out of harms way.

"Make sure you get some rest honey, you look like you need it," she says squeezing my arm gently.

"Honestly, I'm exhausted," I admit.

"Then you need to get some rest. Make sure you take care of yourself. They're going to need you."

To be honest, right now I think they needed me. I said my goodbyes to Dory and went over to Bruce who was standing outside of Alfred's room. He watched through the glass as Alfred slept. His mind was so occupied that he didn't even notice me step beside him. I reached for his hand and he turned his body a little to face me. I rest my head against his arm. I knew how he was feeling right now.

"You need to stop blaming yourself," I say. "This isn't your fault."

"I could have done something..."

"You weren't to know." I lean closer into him and wrap an arm around his waist. He kisses my head and strokes my arm gently.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "I know you've not been feeling great lately."

I freeze a little and slowly pull back so I could face him. Now wasn't the time for this conversation. He smiles and I run my fingers through his messy hair.

"I'm okay. You don't need to worry about me."

"Of course I do. That's part of my job."

"Oh, so it's a job being married to me is it?" For the first time in a while, he laughs. "In that case, how much am I supposed to be paying you?"

He shakes his head and leans down to kiss me. I had missed him and right now, we needed each other more than anything. I didn't want to let him go. He lifts his hands up to mine as he places his forehead against mine. "I have to find out who did this."

I was wondering when this conversation might come up. It was going to come up eventually whether I liked it or not. I just didn't want him to go, but I knew he had to do this. I close my eyes and enjoy the moment, before nodding and releasing my grip on him. He keeps his hands on mine though.

"I have to put an end to this before something else happens. Next time, Alfred might not be as lucky, or you could get hurt and I can't risk it. I can't sit here while he's still out there. You understand, right?"