Chapter Thirty-Four

(Bruce's POV)

The last few days had been a literal nightmare. I was running off nothing but endless cups of coffee and painkillers. Sleep had been the last of my priority, yet there were moments where I did feel myself drifting in the hospital chair.

"Bruce," Alfred says as he approaches me with another cup of coffee. He's recovered and is doing a lot better these past couple of days. Honestly, I think he is still hurting, but he is refusing to stay in a hospital bed any longer than he already has.

"Thanks," I smile slightly as I take the coffee. He sits beside me and there is a small moment of silence.

"I know we've talked about this already, but I really think it would be a good idea if you went home and got some rest. You've not slept in over a week."

"I'm not going anywhere," I firmly state.

He sighs a little and leans closer, placing his hand onto my shoulder. "Bruce, I understand you don't want to leave, but you have to be strong too. Isabella...she's going to need you when she wakes up."

"I said I'm not going anywhere, Alfred."

The silence grew louder. I knew he was right, but I couldn't leave. I needed to be here for when she woke up. I had already let her down.

"No, no, no," I repeat continuously as I place Isabella gently onto the ground after pulling her from the water. Her body was like ice and she was so still that I thought she was dead. "Get a doctor!" I shout attempting to do CPR. I needed to get the water out of her lungs. She needed to be okay.

I wasn't going to take my eyes off her for another minute. Not even for a second. Edward Nashton was now locked away, but Gotham was full of enemies. I didn't trust anybody right now, aside from those closest to me.

There was a faint knock at the hospital door and the doctor appears with a warm smile. "I'm sorry to disturb you, Mr Wayne. I just wanted to check in and make sure everything is okay."

"That's absolutely fine, thank you," I awkwardly say and the doctor moves closer to Isabella with his clipboard and starts to check her monitors, noting the occasional thing down. 

She looked so peaceful as she lay there. Even with the cut on her forehead and the occasional bruise, she was still so beautiful. The nurses had done a brilliant job of cleaning her up and making her comfortable. Just the fact she was there and breathing, made me want to cry.

"I see you haven't left since you got here, Mr Wayne," the doctor said. "I don't need to start worrying about you, do I? You do know that you need to rest too."

"How can I rest when my wife is in this state?" I snap, but I didn't mean to. My emotions were all over the place. I run my fingers through my hair and I take a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I'm just-"

"It's okay, Mr Wayne." The doctor smiles reassuringly.

"Doctor Bevan," Alfred chips in and I wonder what he's going to say. "Do you think it's possible if we could potentially move Isabella home? We have the space for the equipment. It can easily be arranged. I'm just thinking it might be better for us all if she's in her own home."

I hadn't thought of this. Probably because my mind wasn't functioning correctly, but it was a good idea. Isabella would rather be at home than here at the hospital.

The doctor nods slowly. "That could be arranged if that's what you would like, however...can I be honest with you both?" Alfred nods and the doctor moves to sit across from us. "Given the situation, I do think it would be in Isabella's best interests to be here with us at the hospital. Especially because she is with child."

I was still in shock that Isabella was pregnant. Did she know? I had no idea. If she did know, why didn't she tell me? I wasn't angry about it, I was just feeling lost. I know she wouldn't have wanted me to find out this way, but how was she to know she'd be kidnapped? I should have felt overjoyed we were going to be parents, and I guess I was, I was just worrying and scared. Despite her and our baby being okay, I had never felt more lonely. I was, however, eternally grateful that I had found her. The doctors said if she had been in that water for another minute then she may not have been recovered. I wanted to kill Edward for what he did, but she was my priority and I hadn't left her since.

"That's understandable, thank you Doctor," Alfred said.

"I do hope that you can get some rest though, Mr Wayne. You're no help to Isabella when you're walking around like a zombie," the doctor laughs slightly and I did actually smile a little. He leaves and I see Alfred staring at me.

"What?"

"You heard him. You need to get some rest. Isabella wouldn't be taking no for an answer, so neither am I. Your wife would want you to take care of yourself, and she'd make me force you too, so please for her, will you go home just for a few hours? While you do, I can get some things set up in here for you and make sure you're comfortable to stay here throughout the night."

He was right. Isabella wouldn't take no for an answer and she'd be cursing me right now if she could. I had no idea if she could hear me. They say people in a coma can hear you so perhaps she can. They don't know how long it will be before she wakes up, but her body had been through trauma. It was just a case of waiting. They had assured me she was doing well and responding to medicines well, as was our baby. I was blessed that they were both okay. Either way, I did need to look after myself in order to be able to look after her and our baby.

She really did need me now more than ever, and now, so did another little human.