47.

Steady and soft droplets fell from a sky made of white velvet

The rain came to the earth altogether, and yet, each drop came as a pioneer. Fiona felt like the rain. Constantly joined by another, but still, perpetually and depressingly alone as she made her way through the world.

It was all pitifully unfair when Fiona actually thought about it. England had been in a drought for weeks, and yet, on the first day she left her house, it poured.

She felt a twinge of pity for each raindrop as she trudged through the muddy hillside alongside her babysitter.

"Be a lot easier if we could just apparate," Charlie shouted, but he sounded distant, as if he were already at the Burrow, instead of beside her with his hand on her back. His voice was silenced by the sound of droplets pelting against the grassy hill.

"I don't like side along!" Fiona yelled back to him. She could feel the rain drops splash against Charlie and splatter onto her as he leaned closer. The mud that splashed beneath his feat painted her legs as they walked.

"What did you say?" He yelled into her ear, far louder than necessary.

It had been sweltering for weeks, and now, the day she finally left the comfort of her home, the sky wept. As she shivered she bitterly lamented on how underprepared she was for the change in weather.

"How much further?" Fiona shouted as she leaned away from his booming voice.

"It's just there! I can see it now!" Charlie declared with his arm outstretched, pointing at their destination.

After a short, but truly grueling walk, the pair made it to the Burrow. Charlie quickly thrust the door open and pushed Fiona into their dry sanctuary.

"Try not to drip..." Charlie hesitated as he looked at the ring of water that was already forming at Fiona's feet. "Nevermind. Mum won't notice."

Charlie pulled out his wand and pointed it at his sopping clothing, but before he began performing a drying charm he glanced at Fiona. "Got your wand on ya?"

Fiona reached into her back pocket. "Yeah," she mumbled. Taking his less than subtle cue, she pointed her wand at herself and muttered the drying enchantment.

As they began the tedious task of drying off, Charlie watched as Fiona leaned into the stream of air coming from her wand, rather than directly pointing her wand at the places that needed drying the most. Subtly, he pointed his wand at her and allowed the charm to fully dry her off before he finished drying himself off. Fiona remained none the wiser to his assistance.

"C'mon, just sit down here," Charlie instructed as he guided Fiona into the living room. He took her hand and placed it on a faded blue loveseat. "I just gotta check all the watering charms are still working for mum's plants," he said as the sound of his footsteps faded away and made their way up the staircase.