Chapter 104 - Life is a Bitch

Warning: Signs of Depression

- - -

The two sit in the car. Honestly, Hizashi is kind of stuck since the snow has built up, but he isn't willing to reveal that to Izuku yet. The kid will probably build a makeshift flamethrower or something like that.

That's not Hizashi's main concern: it's Izuku himself. He's just too calm. That is not to say that there is nothing wrong with being calm. However, there's a difference between being calm because it's a nice moment and being calm because something is going on internally.

It's the second here.

However, Hizashi believes that Izuku has already figured out that they are kind of trapped where they are, mainly because the kid hasn't put on his seatbelt yet. While that could be Izuku being Izuku, for some reason, Hizashi denies it in this case.

That doesn't stop Izuku from spilling a question that nearly causes Hizashi to step on the gas accidently.

"What kind of job should I go for if I was to quit being a hero?" Izuku asks out of nowhere.

Hizashi turns to Izuku, a confused chuckle escaping him, "That's a bit out of nowhere question, Tiny Listener."

"That's my entire life, so it's fine," Izuku waves off casually, "So answer me."

"Izuku, I just want you happy, kid. Do you want to talk about this? This is really sudden. If you are reconsidering, that's okay," Hizashi questions a concerned look.

"Nah, it's okay, Zashi. Now, let's build that flamethrower."

"Izuku, no!"

Hizashi is well-aware of what Izuku just did. It was to distract him from what he just asked.

He really needs to speak to Shouta about this one.

- - -

I'm sorry, I can't.

- - -

Hizashi POV

This is bad, and that is an understatement of the year. I don't even think the worst word in the dictionary can describe how bad this is.

I don't even know what to say.

Izuku doesn't deserve any of this. The kid is 16! The only thing I had to worry about at 16 was losing a close friend!

However, the big difference between Izuku and I is that I had time to recover. It was a tragedy that it happened, and I do miss Shirakumo. Despite that, I consider myself lucky for only going through that considering my career choice.

Izuku hasn't had time to recover at all. It's one thing after another for him, and it goes far beyond losing a friend. Izuku has been forced to take the position of a leader with so many lives in his hands. He has had to save the world multiple times. He has been injured so many times to the point of dying twice, and there's probably more that he hasn't told us about.

Now, Izuku has been forcefully given a quirk, something that him lacking caused issues for most of his life, that his body rejects. A quirk from somebody that he knows and probably feels guilty over considering he was there when Ragdoll was taken. There's possibly more involved, but I am choosing not to accept it yet.

It's no wonder the poor kid had a breakdown. It lasted for nearly an hour until he finally started settling down. Hell, he hasn't even noticed Nemuri, who came in quite a while ago.