Chapter 39- Behind the golden curtains

On the afternoon of our scheduled meeting, me and Jenni found ourselves back at the Di'Mello's entrance. Our only company was an excited spider that danced in my hands. Eloise and Amelia waited by the large, green-painted door.

They were smiling with their hands on their waist, betraying none of our plan.

"I will be your host as my grandmother, unfortunately, is busy with affairs from state." said Eloise, signalling to a young footman to open the door to the manor.

Jenni nodded, unaware of my silent exchange with the ladies in front of us. Inside, as per usual, we undressed our capes, allowing the servants to store them away before we followed Eloise again. Jenni then remarked to our friend that the duke had written another letter to Lady Di'Mello.

Eloise replied by glancing over her shoulder and showing a lazy smile. And we passed the first door of the hallway.

Then the second. Jenni, always polite, turned her attention to Amelia, inquiring over her father, Lord Castello. Amelia answered as she always did, with a matter-of-fact shrug and succinct words.

We then passed the third door and Jenni took it upon herself to praise the beautiful decor of the house, remarking that the Duke had told her it was all because of Eloise's laborious work. She received a heartfelt grin and appreciation from Eloise before we resumed our walk.

Then we passed the fourth door, and Jenni stopped talking and her shoulders tensed. The more we walked past the door, the more straight her back became. When we reached the last door, the back exit of the mansion, I saw her hands clenching her baby blue dress as if it was keeping her afloat.

It was with a cold softness that she asked, "Where are we going, lady Eloise?"

Eloise turned to her, her fingers wrapped around the gilded handle. "I thought it would be good to have tea outside for a change." The lopsided twist of her lips was misleading, conveying improperly the sheer pressure of her words.

She didn't wait for Jenni to answer and opened the door. It led to a back garden, with some chairs and tables and a few things more. Not a sizeable space by any means, and it seemed overlooked in contrast with the rest of the mansion, except for the small stable and working shed at the end of an endless row of grass.

However, that was not the important part. What I cared about was the driveway that led to two big iron gates on the side, which would give us a way out of the manor. And on the path, standing almost inconspicuously, was a carriage. Small and with its painting failing off, it had no coat of arms or showed any clues of who may own it.

Eloise and Amelia stepped down the small staircase that separated us from the garden. Before I could follow, Jenni grabbed my arm with both her hands. "I am not sure about this lulu... our safety."

Her eyes, big and watery, pleaded for my sensibility.

"Worry not, Lady Jennifer," said Amelia from behind her shoulder. "my people will protect us. No one would harm us." her lips curved on the side, while her voice rang detached. Aloof.

Jenni slid one of her hands to mine, the other firm on my arm. "Those don't look like Lord Castello's men, lady Amelia." she said when she turned to the lady in question.

Amelia's curved lip grew feral. "They are mine." She replied, walking to the carriage to wait with Eloise and a group of hooded men.

Like Jenni, I wondered where Amelia had found them, though I left my concerns unspoken.

My sister refused to budge, her nails biting into my skin as she pleaded once again. "Lulu, father would be most displeased..." she muttered.

I leaned in and whispered. "Only if you tell him."