37

Your mind was still reeling when you arrived inside the small room that the commissioners had chosen for their meeting. Your eyes swept around the room, noting that there were only two guards present other than the girl who had escorted you.

You let your gaze linger on them for a moment. After your conversation in the bathroom, you couldn't help but wonder if they were here of their own volition or if they were like your guard, trapped underneath the weight of responsibility for someone they loved. Someone the commission was holding against them.

"You're late," a male voice drawled, turning your attention to the table before you. All four Higher Up's were present, sitting beside each other. There was an empty chair next to Sadis, the one who was responsible for your still-swollen eye. A spot for Zankoku, you realized with a start. Left as a sign of respect for their deceased partner.

"Apologies, sir," your guard answered. "The injuries inflicted upon the subject caused some delay in her movement."

Itami, the sadistic one you'd had the displeasure of meeting first, picked at his nails. "Such injuries could have been prevented had the girl shown a little respect. It is no one else's fault but her own. We will not be made to wait because she is unable to handle the consequences of her actions."

"Yes, sir."

While you had begun fantasizing about the creative ways in which you would make each of those men suffer before their deaths, the President, who sat with your father by her side, cleared her throat. "Let's not waste any more time than we already have. She is here now and we can begin with-"

"I'm not doing anything," you interrupted, "until you show me that my friends are ok." The thoughts of what may have been done to them as a result of your disobedience had plagued you for hours. You needed to see them.

"You're not in the position to make demands around here, darling." The Higher Up on the far left stated. You recognized his face from his visits to the office but hadn't yet interacted with him while being held here.

You cocked your head. It was clear that something had happened. These people would have wanted to increase your suffering by making you watch the punishment inflicted upon your loved ones. They would have gloated and replayed it at least ten times to show you that they were the ones in control. A bit of hope planted itself in your chest. Had Aya and Touya managed to make it out?

You shrugged. "Maybe not. But if you don't show me proof that they're still imprisoned, I'll assume that they escaped. Meaning that you would have no leverage that could be used to make me cooperate."

From the corner of your eye, you saw your father briefly shut his eyes, as if he needed a moment to prepare for what was going to happen next. The President straightened in her chair. You looked to the Higher Ups for their reactions, and unease settled over you at the anticipation in their eyes. None of them looked concerned.

If your focus hadn't been intent on those at the table before you, you might've noticed that the female guard by your side had been pulled from the room. "You're right," the president said. "Your villain lover along with your traitorous friend is no longer in our custody."

For the first time in days, you felt a genuine smile come across your cracked lips. They'd done it, you were right to have held on for as long as you had. Now they had no power, no way to force you into submission. Their project ended today.

"The reason they are no longer in our custody," she continued. "Is because they are dead."

The rush of silence that followed after her words slammed into you like a brick wall. Sadis sneered. Your father pursed his lips.