Chapter Forty

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. Leo swiped through the pictures on his phone as he laid in bed, unable to sleep. He smiled as he came across the photos from prom.

There were a bunch with his family. He stood awkwardly between his parents, with Kai grinning at the camera and Roan giving a small but visible smile. Leo's lips were pressed in a thin line as he stood stiffly, he never quite knew how to pose for pictures. Then there were pictures with Maya, who too decided to dress up just for the heck of it. And then ones of all them together. Leo knew Kai was definitely going to frame them later.

He had pictures with Milan too, that surprisingly his mom had insisted on clicking when Leo went to pick him up. Leo still felt at unease around her, but it wasn't as tense as before. He was just glad that things were at least better between Milan and her.

Then there were the crazy selfies that Quinn had clicked during the dance. Some with the props, some when Milan was stuffing his face with pizza. And the last one was a candid, Leo and Milan slow dancing. Quinn was sneaky, but Leo was glad that they got the moment documented, because Leo didn't want to forget it. Ever.

Not long after prom, their finals started. Leo was constantly on edge, even more so than Milan. It was weird considering Milan had always been the one worrying about revising and grades, but for the first time it was Leo that was pacing back and forth with a book in his hands as Milan tried to assure him that it would all be fine.

Once the exams were over, Leo finally felt like he could relax. But that didn't last very long as the wait for results began.

Now there he was, unable to sleep out of excitement for his graduation ceremony tomorrow. He still couldn't believe it, but he passed. He was actually going to graduate.

Leo was about to turn off his phone and attempt to sleep again, when it rang. Milan was calling him.

"Hey," Leo said softly as he picked up the call.

"Hi."

"It's late, what are you doing up?" Leo asked.

"Can't sleep. I'm too excited for tomorrow." Milan exhaled deeply.

"Me too," Leo admitted. "But you should get your beauty sleep."

"Why? You don't think I can rock the sleepless zombie look?" Milan questioned, making Leo chuckle.

"I'd let you eat my brain anytime, mi amor," Leo answered.

"What a romantic."

"Happy boyfriend, happy— okay, I can't think of anything that rhymes with that."

"Get some sleep, it's almost three in the morning," Milan said.

"Did you call me just to tell me to sleep?"

"No, I just felt like hearing your voice."

Leo stayed quiet for a few moments, his lips turning upwards in a small smile as he thought about what Milan said. It was bizarre how Milan was always able to brighten up his day with the simplest of words or actions.

"Want me to sneak into your room so that you can hear me in person?" Leo asked. He was joking. Mostly.

"And have my mom scream our heads off in the morning? Sounds like a great idea," Milan laughed.

"Fair," Leo sighed. "One day, though. We won't have to sneak in or sneak out anymore. And I'll wake up to your face every morning."

"Not for another year, at least. I'll have to sneak you in my college dorm."