THIRTY | Bugatti

I WOKE UP IN A NEW BUGATTI

ATHENA RUSSO:

I've lost Domenico.

It was not that hard, to be honest, but now I'm following the route to this random place that Dante seems to go to a lot. I have nowhere to go to so whatever this place is I hope it's somewhere I can stay at.

Trees blur in the corner of my eye as I speed down the long road. My grip on the steering wheel tightens. I glance at the time.

I had to take a lot of turns and different roads to lose Domenico and that took a while since he's so goddamn stubborn to just give up.

The sky is an orangey pink, in the distance. I sigh and lean back, taking one hand off the wheel. My brothers could possibly be murderers.

In Marcello's words, there is a 95% chance my brothers are murderers although the 5% could be me just jumping to conclusions. I've seen enough these past few days and I know I'm onto something.

I guess I'm not the one to judge. Actually, fuck that. I'll judge all I want. I know shooting my "father" was in self-defense. No one really knows what went down that night.

Yeah he tried to kill me but that night, he seemed different. He didn't even seem drunk, now that I think about it. I shake my head. I need to stop thinking about it.

I look up in the rearview mirror and see a black SUV behind me. I straighten my back and place both hands on the wheel.

I look at the map to see if I can take a random turn but the road goes straight for a while.

Am I being followed? Maybe. Could I drive this car off a cliff? Yes. Should I do it? No. That wouldn't be good. Sorry. I don't even know where I was going with that.

I look closely at the car behind me. I squint my eyes but the windows are too tinted so I can't see anything and they have no license plate.

Well isn't that awfully suspicious?

I press down on the gas and make speed down the road.

I remember the first time I learned how to drive. I was in a car chase with the police. But the thing about speeding makes me feel better. I hate driving normally.

I remember how I snuck into a street race because I heard some guys at school talking about it. Some random worker there thought I was a street racer. They pushed me into a random car and I was panicking. I didn't even know what to do.