2

"I want to see them." Jacob cried out to me.

"You don't need to see that, Jacob. Neither of you do, not right now." The doctor spoke.

I agreed, he didn't need to see them yet.

I didn't want him to see them until after the funeral home takes care of them, makes them look- less dead.

"Ava- tell him to let us!" Jacob almost yelled, and I didn't respond.

I pulled his tall, lanky body into my arms.

I sank to the floor with him, not being able to hold the weight he was putting onto me.

The doctor did skip a beat, joining us kneeling on the ground as Jacob gasped for air, crying his soul out.

I held him as tightly as I could, continually swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Jacob, put your head to your knees- it'll help you breathe." The doctor told him.

He surprisingly did as said, finally able to calm himself down.

I rubbed his back gently as he hiccuped, hugging his knees to him.

"I'm so sorry Jacob." I whispered to him.

"Please- just don't leave me Ava." He cried towards me.

"Never."

The doctor continually tried to talk to us, I don't think either of us were able to take in what he was saying.

"I think maybe you guys should stay here overnight for observation." The doctor suggested slowly.

We didn't need that, but if Jacob wanted it- I was going to let it happen.

"I want to go home." Jacob spoke quietly, making me glance to the doctor, who was nodding slowly.

"Okay. But I am recommending that you both come to me for some therapy and counseling- just to have some time to talk and I can help you guys figure out coping methods and-" "okay." I agreed, knowing we would most likely just have to stay longer if I didn't agree.

While he left us to grab paperwork, we sat in silence.

Before he was back, we got a visit from our insurance workers, who signed everything away to me.

I was so overwhelmed.

Ashton.

I walked in the the insurance writing a very large check to Ava, her body staring as they did.

"So this will cover all of the medical bills, funeral costs and then the rest is all for your two." The guy explained to her slowly.

She was so detached.

She had yet to cry, barely spoke and did nothing but look to her little brother, who was an emotional wreck.

I was fully convinced she was only being strong for him.

Soon the insurance workers left, making her look to me.

"So I wrote down when I want you guys to come in for appointments along with my contact information, and other information in case you need me before that date." I told her slowly, knowing that date was three days away.

"Thanks" she exhaled.

"You can seriously call me if you need anything though- to talk or even just need some company." I told the emotionless, young girl slowly.

"Thanks." She repeated.

I knew she wouldn't call.

Ava.

I kept my arm around Jacob as we walked out and to my car.

We rode home in silence.

I pulled up to the house and immediately felt tears coming into my eyes.

Jacob was crying again.

"Eves bike" he cried out, making me look to the bike that was moved, telling me she rode is not too long ago.

We slowly made our way inside.

Jacob was purely a mess, and I couldn't do anything but apologize.

What fifteen year old should have to go through losing everyone but his big sister?

I cooked him dinner, knowing I didn't have an appetite.

I sat with him as he slowly ate.

"You're not going to eat?" He asked me after a moment,

"Not hungry, I ate a late lunch," I lied to him, seeing him manage to nod.

Soon we showered before meeting back downstairs, sitting on the couch in silence.

"I don't know what to say." I told him truthfully.

He glanced to me.

"You can cry if you need to." He told me slowly, I could see the tears forming again in his own eyes,

"I don't need to" I lied to him
"Guess I'm just in shock."

He ended up falling asleep on the couch, staying leaned against me the entire time.

It took awhile for me, but I wasn't far behind him.

I woke up to my phone ringing

I got up quickly, running with it before it could wake Jacob.

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Good morning, I'm calling for an Ava Johnson-" "this is her." I answered quickly.

"This is Rush funeral home, we have been contacted to assist you in the details and setting up of your loved ones funeral arrangements, we were wondering if you could come in today?"

So it wasn't a dream.