bonus chapter: one

-five months after human transcendence-

The worst feeling in the world is when your body decides to betray you. It was the one thing that you were supposed to be able to rely on at all times. The one thing that needed to work with you, not against you.

Currently, Avery Blake's body was absolutely working against her.

No matter what she ate, it came right back up. She could barely even keep water down. The dramatic side of her was pretty sure she was dying.

So, that's why she was currently hunched over, her body slumped against a tree as her entire breakfast ended up on the floor of the forest. To be honest, the eggs Murphy had made that morning kind of sucked anyway so she wasn't that upset about it.

The sound of someone moving toward her caused Avery to look up for a moment, brushing the wild hair from her face. "I told you to stay away, Bellamy!" She called, using all of her energy to force out words loud enough to reach him. "You do not want to see this."

"It's not Bellamy."

Avery groaned, moving away from the spot she had just been sick for the fifth time that morning. "What do you want?"

John Murphy cocked his head, giving his best friend a slightly offended look. "You know, Collins, that's no way to greet someone who's trying to help you."

"Sorry, John." She sighed, sliding her back against the trunk of tree so she was seated. "I feel like death."

"You kind of look like it too." He teased, passing her a cup of water. "Everyone's worried about you."

Resting her head against the tree, Avery closed her eyes. "I have no idea what this is. It's definitely not a bug...and I've eaten all the same things as everyone else so why would I be the only one that—oh my God." Her eyes flew open, realization dawning on her. How could she be so stupid!

Confusion washed over Murphy's face as he went over what Avery had just said, hoping to find a clue in her words. It took him a moment, but he got there. "Holy shit, you're—"

Avery clamped her hand down over his mouth, preventing him from saying anything else. "Don't." She warned. "Don't say it."

Pushing her hand away, Murphy was still wide-eyed. "It all makes so much sense now!"

"What?" Avery questioned, her mind still running a mile a minute at the revelation she had just made.

Murphy grinned, "Why you've been such a bitch lately."

Avery's existential crisis was paused. "Okay, that's a bit much, John." Her best friend laughed at her words, his smile slowly fading as it all seemed to sink in.

"You have to tell Bellamy." He announced, which earned a stern glare from Avery.

"No shit." She muttered, eyes straying down toward her stomach. She had always wanted a family with Bellamy, but was now the best time? They had barely been back on Earth for a year. They had yet to build their permanent homes, and food was still hit or miss. Were they really ready to bring a baby into all of this?

Nudging her shoulder with his own, Murphy gave Avery a comforting smile. "You've got this Collins. Isn't this what you always wanted?"

"Yeah." She agreed, fear creeping through her, causing a lump to form in her chest. "I just—I don't know."

"Go tell Bellamy." Murphy instructed, "He's going to be so happy."

Turning toward him, Avery wore a small smile. It didn't quite reach her eyes, but it was there. "Thanks, John." She muttered, gratefully accepting his help up. "Don't you dare tell anyone." She then warned, giving him a hard look. "Not even Emori."