CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

DEAD CALM;
part one

KIARA, SARAH AND RENNA WERE sitting in the back of the Twinkie as Pope, JJ, John B, and Atticus spoke outside, discussing their plans on how to retrieve the rest of the gold.

"He said it looked something like this," Kiara read, Sarah and Renna making eye-contact from either side of the girl inside the back of the van.

"So . . ."

"Care to elaborate?" Renna asked.

"That's fifty feet down, and they're using a hundred feet rope," Kiara explained as her finger trailed down the poorly-drawn diagram.

"Plenty to spare, then," Renna smiled from beside her, her shoulder lightly bumping into her friend's.

"Exactly," Kiara grinned back at her. "I guess this little wagon will go straight to the gold room."

The three girls began to laugh, giggles and bursts of loud chuckles erupting from them as they stared down at the mess of a map.

"Who drew this?" Sarah asked hysterically.

"Who do you think?" Kiara laughed. They looked out the windshield to see Pope staring back at them. Renna smirked, eyeing Kiara.

"Oh, Kiara, you look so good with that shirt, and your hair, and-" Renna teased as she brought her voice deep, running her hands down Kiara's face as the targeted girl smacked her hands away. Sarah laughed.

"Oh, shut up!"

After melting down the gold, the group collectively made their way to the pawn shop. JJ, try as he might, tried to push the price of the gold up to what he knew it was worth, but he only got to seventy-thousand dollars, with an added twist. They had to go to a warehouse far, far away to collect the money, if they wanted it in cash. Although Renna didn't trust it one bit, she didn't tell the others. She didn't trust much of anything anymore.

"There's nothing but weeds back here," Kiara observed, making Renna's leg bounce even higher.

"All right, just 'cause it's just weeds, doesn't-"

"Cops!" Renna shouted before the sirens even started. She was facing the back window, eyes wide as she surveyed the abnormal vehicle inching closer and closer.

"Cops? Out here?" Kiara questioned.

"God! Are you kidding me?" JJ shouted.

"What did we do?" Sarah asked as she watched everyone fly into a panic.

"This is bullshit!" Atticus yelled with annoyance, fighting the urge to throw a punch to the ceiling.

"Stash that!" John B whispered as he pulled the van to the side.