Chpt 29: Cracking The Code

The next morning i woke up in my own time, which was a surprise because either El or Hop wake me up every morning. I looked to see El was gone from my bed. I walked into the kitchen and saw two sticky notes stuck on the fridge.

"I'm going to Maxes tonight for sleepover. See you tomorrow :)"

"I left oatmeal in the fridge. You can't have eggos because you had them for dinner last night. I'll be home at 8"

I let out a small sigh as i grabbed some eggos from the fridge. I made myself a coffee and an eggo supreme and decided to go to Scoops Ahoy. I didn't have work today but i wanted to go to the mall anyway.

Yes, i was still angry at Steve, but i wanted to see Robin. I got changed and rode my bike over to the mall. Once i got there, i saw Robin serving customers with a bored look on her face.

"Do you want to swap places with me?" she asked. "Do i get free ice cream?" "Well, not when you have to serve the customers but-" "Then no" i said with a smirk as i made my way into the backroom.

When i walked inside, i saw Steve playing with his hat at the table. "Oh... Hey. I didn't think you'd come here today" he said. I ignored him as i put my headphones on and listened to the Russian track.

Steve groaned. "Oh come on, would you just talk to me?!" he exclaimed. I continued to ignore him. "Fine. Fine. Stay here. On your own. Don't talk to me it's fine" he said as he stomped out.

My eyes drifted to him as he slammed the door. "Asshole" i mumbled. "I'm sorry, what was that?" Steve asked as he poked his head through the door. I rolled my eyes.

"No, seriously, why am i an asshole? Because i told you off for talking to that creep?" he questioned. I pulled of my headphones.

"No Harrington, are you really that stupid that you don't know why i'm angry with you!?" i shouted. "Do you know what, how about we sort this out, because i may or may not have something that will make you un-mad at me. So, come on" he said opening the door.

I groaned as i reluctantly followed him. I followed him out the front of the store and saw a cup of coffee on the til. "Really? You think making me a cup of coffee is going to automatically make me 'un-mad' at you?" i questioned angrily.

"No, but this will" he said as he lifted me up onto the til. "What the hell are you doing, Harrington?!" i exclaimed as he put his ugly sailors hat on my head.

"Now, you have to understand i work for 10 bucks an hour so i can't afford anything. But...Here" he said as he handed me a small notebook. It had a plain, sage green cover. I opened it and saw a pressed flower inside.

"It's a book mark! You know... Like how you told me a few months ago... About if you squish a flower in between a book it never dies..." he said as he stared at my blank face. I was shocked. And confused. I wasn't expecting him to do all of this. My mouth fell slightly open.

"Joy?... Come on, do you realise how long i thought about how to make you un-mad at me? And not to mention the looks i received when i walked into the flower shop and asked which flower would be best for a 'book mark'" he said. A small smirk crept on my face as i tried my best to hide it.

"Cute" i mumbled.

"Cute? Cute?! That's all i get. Really?" he exclaimed. I let out a small laugh as i put my hand over my mouth to cover my smile. "It's cute. Very cute."

"Now you can write your own book instead of reading all those boring ones" he said. I nodded as i tried to comprehend everything that had just happened.

"Steve, it's your turn to sling ice cream, i'm going on break!" Robin exclaimed in annoyance as she threw Steve the ice cream scooper. Steve rolled his eyes. "Well, what do you say? You still mad at me?" he asked with a small smirk.

"Okay fine... I'm not mad. But you do realise you can't just buy me something every time i'm mad at you. First it was a walkman, then free ice cream and now a notebook" i said. "I know... But there's always a car or a whole book shop when i get rich."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. I loved how he remembered what i had told him months ago. I loved how he realised how much i loved to write even though i never told him. I loved everything about him.

As friends... Of course.

A couple of hours had passed, and Steve and Dustin were busy with "spy craft" as they like to put it while i was with Robin in the back room. We were swapping our theories about the Russian code. "It doesn't make sense!" i exclaimed as i groaned in annoyance.

"The silver cat feeds, when blue meets yellow in the west. A trip to China sounds nice, if you tread lightly... What is that even supposed to mean?" she said.

We both heard a knock at the back room door. "Delivery for you" a delivery man said as Robin opened the door. "Thank you" she said as she began signing for the package.

I looked at the man who was wearing a Lynx Delivery uniform. Then it hit me. The Lynx logo is a cat. And not any cat... A silver cat.

"Silver cat" i mumbled. "What?" Robin asked. I  ran out of the store. "Hey Joy, your not going to believe who Dustin thought was a Russian spy" Steve said as i ran passed him.

"Hey! Where are you going?!" he called out but i ignored him. I ran to the centre of the mall as i looked around. "A trip of China sounds nice" i mumbled to myself looking around at all of the stores.

I looked and looked until i finally spotted a Chinese food restaurant. "A trip to China sounds nice!" i exclaimed. "If you tread lightly."

I looked around and spotted a Kaufman shoe shop. "When blue meets yellow in the west" i mumbled under my breath until i spotted a clock which had a blue and yellow hour hand.

I laughed hysterically to myself. "Joy, what are you doing?" Robin asked as her, Dustin and Steve walked over. "I cracked it" i said. "Cracked what?" Steve asked. "What do you think dumbass?" Dustin exclaimed.

"I cracked the code."

Authors note:
-I know i said i'd have two new chpts out but guess who's dumb enough to not save their other chpt😍