chapter twenty-nine

*flashback*

"Aye, chief, you good?" Devon asked, walking towards his office.

"Of course, my daughter good?" Aziel asked, looking up from his books.

"Yeah, she getting bigger every day." Devon smiled; he loved talking about his wife, especially now that they were having a baby.

"I got to come to see y'all apartment."

"You know you are always invited."

"We'll set something up." He said, looking at his phone and seeing he was getting a call. "What's the problem, baby girl?"

"Daddy, Keygan is pissing me off." He said, hearing Flaire sound like she was crying.

"What's the problem, my care bear?"

"I'm at my locker with Keygan, and some girl walks up to him, touching him, talking about she is mad she can't get to see him play football anymore, just flirting. I didn't say anything because I felt like this was something he should've handled himself. Daddy, he goes to tell me he handled it the best way he could without hurting her feelings. Fuck her feelings!"

"Watch your mouth."

"I'm sorry, but I'm mad daddy; how could you possibly not feel you could've handled that better? Shoe on the other foot, I would've been hearing about it all day!" 

"Baby, speaking as a male. We're dumb. Maybe he thought he handled the situation as best as he could, or maybe he didn't say too much because he knew you would but just don't overthink and have a conversation with him." He reasoned. "More importantly, get out of the bathroom crying before I come there and kick his ass."

"Please do, and bring all your coworkers too."

"Hold on, baby, Indigo's calling." He said, clicking over. "Aren't you in class? What's wrong, baby girl?"

"I just caught my period. Can you bring me some pads?"

"I'm not at home, baby; I'm at work. Did you call your mother?" 

"She's not answering."

"She probably sleeps; it's her off day. Go to the nurse and ask for some; I'll see if Genesis can bring you something."

"Okay, can you send her money for food also?"

"If I buy one food, I have to buy all food."

"It can be our secret, daddy." Indigo chuckled.

"I'll see what I can do; get off the phone and pay attention before I take it."

"Yes, sir, I love you, daddy."

"I love you more, daddy's girl." He said as she hung up, making him click back over. "Hello?"

"I don't appreciate you clicking over. Then you have the nerve to be longer than two minutes knowing I'm having a crisis, daddy; I don't appreciate that. I'm feeling unappreciated."

"Flaire, you're being dramatic- hold on, baby girl. Genesis calling." He said, clicking over. "Hello?"

"Dad, you told that brat I'll bring her food as if I'm not busy with life?" 

"I told her you would bring her pads and maybe food, can you please?"

"Am I getting food out of this?"

"You're getting a damn apartment out of this, a free one for your damn husband and bald-headed baby."

"Well, when you put things like that." Genesis laughed, rolling her eyes. "You know I have to get all of them food?"