CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

THE RUNWAY;
part one

RENNA AND ATTICUS WALKED UP to John B's house the next morning, the two fresh out of a bed full of tears. The boy was leaving as they rounded the corner, hopping onto JJ's red motorbike as the rest of their friends ran through the front door.

"John B!" Kiara shouted as she ran down the front steps, eyes holding a frantic expression Renna had never seen before. However, John B paid no mind to her, he just stared deathly still at Renna. It caused her to stop in her tracks, Atticus standing right beside her.

"Did you know?" The boy asked, fingers tightening around the handles of the motorbike.

"Know what?" Renna questioned with furrowed brows. She was confused.

"Know about your dad . . . and my dad." 

"What about them?" She asked again. He stayed silent as he surveyed the girl's face, anger present in every single inch of his body.

"John B, what the hell are you on about, man?" Atticus asked as he stepped forward, a peaceful hand held out in his direction.

"Ward and Dick know about the gold. Ward killed my dad, and Dick watched him," he seethed before revving the vehicle, driving off as everyone stopped in their spots. They all turned to look at Renna, the girl standing with her mouth agape, eyes staring at the spot her friend once was with every single emotion processable. How could her father do such a thing?

"Hey, let's go inside, yeah?" Atticus whispered as he placed a comforting hand on Renna's shoulder.

"What? No! No way! We need to go find John B," Kiara argued with wide eyes.

"Kiara, not now," Atticus shouted, eyes darting between the two girls around him.

"I need to find him," Renna interrupted, her voice loud and low at the same time.

"JB?" Atticus asked swiftly.

"Dad."

"No. No, you're not going near him, understand? He watched someone he knew die-"

"He's my dad, Atticus! I have to do something," she pleaded, her voice soft yet set. She knew, and everyone else knew, that there was no changing her mind. He was her father, he wouldn't hurt her, just like she wouldn't hurt him.

Right?

"You don't have to do anything, especially not right now," Atticus continued to argue, even though he knew there was no hope. She was stubborn like that.

"I'm sorry, I really am, but he's my father. He's my blood! If anyone can talk to him without getting hurt, it's his daughter. I'm not letting him get away with this," Renna said softly.