Chapter 21

Jin POV

I sat down carefully on the other end of the park bench. Yoongi said nothing.

"Please don't say anything" I blurted out. I was planning on asking a little more nicely but my anxiety forced me to speak as quickly as possible.

"Do you know how much shit we gave her for coming home every day, smelling like another hybrid?" He chuckled to himself.

"And everyday, she was so confused, trying to think of where the smell was coming from"

He finally turned to look at me.

"The whole time it was you. She never would have been able to know"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry it caused you stress, especially her. She's been nothing but kind to me. I'm just trying to survive," I started to explain.

"I'm part of a pack as well, this is the only way we can make money... to live."

Yoongi just listened. His face was completely blank and I couldn't tell what he was thinking. I quickly glanced at the collar on his neck. Although sometimes I really loved having my freedom, I was always quickly reminded that I wasn't really free. I was a stray.

The threat of being taken away to who knows where, or being separated, it would always loom over us. We couldn't go to a shelter, we had ended up there too many times, returned too many times, stayed there for too many months.

We knew that the next stop wouldn't be as nice. We knew that we would most likely be separated. We would never truly be free. We would never have freedom from cruel people.

As much as we wanted that freedom, we also craved a home. A person just for us, to take care of us and love us. We couldn't fight our instincts. We wanted the secure feeling of a safe house, a warm bed, a person that would protect us from other bad people.

"We can't go back to a shelter... we- we can't" I looked up to the sky, trying not to get emotional.

"I don't know if they'd even take us to a shelter, they'd probably separate us at a pound"

"I thought I could smell others on you" he finally spoke. "I must admit, I thought you were either really stupid, or really brave for going out onto the street as a stray"

He stared at me intensely.

"But," he continued, "I would do the same for my pack"

I sighed in relief at his words, even though he hadn't made any promises, at least it felt like we were on the same page.

Yoongi POV

He seemed relieved. I had to admit that, as annoyed as I was about this hybrid getting close to our Y/N, I did feel a little bad for him.

I woke up this morning cuddled up to my person in a nice warm bed, inside a safe house with my packmates. We ate whatever we felt like this morning, and spent the early afternoon watching movies. What was his morning like?

Did him and his pack have a place to stay, or did they just sleep anywhere that was dry? How many meals a day could they eat? Were they warm enough at night?

As tough as any hybrid might seem to be, we all craved affection. It was how we were made so that we wouldn't turn on humans. We craved their approval and their touch. At least in the shelter we got a bit of that, they probably got nothing.