Chapter 4: Assassination Attempt

Newt, Hicks, Jacob, Jason and I chase a Ministry Official down a corridor as Newt says. "The man that I’m inquiring about is the Head of the British Auror Office! How can you have misplaced the Head of the British Auror Office!"

The official, turning to face him, stares placidly at Newt. "It’s our contention that since he was never in our custody, we never misplaced him." He said. "Sir. There were dozens of people there. Any one of them can corroborate—" Hicks suggest. "And your name is?" The official said as he looks into her eyes. "Let’s get out of here..." I scoff as I grab Newt's arm but then Jacob speaks up.

"Hey! Wait! That’s the guy—" he shouts and we turn. Through the glass corridor, Helmut emerges from an office in the company of another Auror. Jacob gestures for the official to follow him. "Come here! Come here!" Jacob shouts as Hicks, Jason, Newt and I rush to the door. "Excuse me! Hey! That’s the guy. He knows where Theseus is. Hello! Where’s Theseus!" Jacob shouts while Helmut continues walking, ignoring us. "That’s him—he knows about Theseus." Jacob shouts, angrily.

Suddenly, a sheet of glass slides down from above like a guillotine in front of us. "Bloody hell." Jason mutters, annoyed.

Moments later, we slip out of a side entrance when Hicks stops. "Newt. (y/n)." She said and the boys and I look back to see a glove floating in midair, then it points around the corner. Newt walks forward and catches the glove in his hand.

Then, following a second glove, we approach a figure behind a pillar to see Dumbledore. Recovering one glove from the air and taking the second from Newt, Dumbledore leads us briskly down a busy avenue, his eyes constantly moving, as if every shadow offered the possibility of threat. "Albus." Newt said to him. "Theseus has been taken to the Erkstag." Dumbledore said and I give him a look of confusion.

"But the Erkstag shut down years ago." I point out. "Yes, well, it’s the Ministry’s secret little bed-and-breakfast now. You’ll need this to see him...and one of these...and this." Dumbledore said as he places both gloves into his hat then he removes some papers and slips them to Newt, clocking Newt’s look.

Dumbledore leads us to the wall and we head through it. "I trust you’re enjoying your wand, Mr. Kowalski?" Dumbledore asked Jacob as we walk out on the street. "Me. Oh. Yeah. Thank you, Mr. Dumbledore. It’s a real pip." Jacob said. "I advise you to keep it close." Dumbledore said.

As Jacob ponders the meaning of this, Dumbledore fishes a pocket watch from his coat and angles it. Newt and I notice Credence slide over the reflection inside the lid. "Professor Hicks, assuming you’re not otherwise engaged—and frankly, even if you are—I’d encourage you to attend tonight’s Candidates’ Dinner. Take Mr. Kowalski and Miss (l/n). I’m quite certain there will be an assassination attempt. Anything you could do to scotch that would be greatly appreciated." Dumbledore said. "It’s my pleasure. I shall welcome the challenge. Besides, I’ll have Jacob and (y/n) with me." Hicks said and Jacob looks mildly alarmed.

I place a sympathetic hand on his shoulder then Dumbledore speaks up. "Not to worry, Professor Hicks’s defensive magic is superb. And you have a friendly familiar face with you. Until next time." He said then he smiles, doffs his hat, and exits. "Such a flatterer. Well, not really. It is superb." Hicks said and I chuckle a bit while Newt steps forward, calls out. "Albus!"

Dumbledore turns, looks back. "I was just wondering..." Newt said then he gestures as if holding a case. "Ah, yes. The case." Dumbledore said as he walks back up to Newt. "Yes." He said. "Rest assured it’s in safe hands." Dumbledore said and he walks away while Newt looks down confused and a bit sad.

"Love, it'll be okay. I'm sure Uncle Edmund is watching over it really well." I try to assure Newt. "It's just..." he said and I take his hand. "I know. This is the longest you've been without them. But I'm sure they are safe." I said and Newt slightly but he still looks a bit worried.