The Seawitch's Regret (19)

The Mysterious Mistress Zestrella

I stared out the window through the night air.  I saw a woman walking past the pier.  Dark velvet dress and a hood was covering the back of the head.  However, dark wavy hair came out from under the hood.

Oh, it was Zestrella.

I smiled lightly.

I should check on Levy.  I haven't talked to her nor seen her since we got back.  She headed off without a moment to spare, not even giving me a time of day.

I headed to Levy's room and knocked on her door.  I didn't wait for an answer when I opened the door.  There she was huddled on the bedsheets with the human shoes and socks off.

I stared at her deeply saddened.

Her feet were red and she seemed to be in pain.

I knew it.

My eyes furrowed, "Levy I-" I begin, but she gave me a look to shut me up

It was as if she said, 'Don't,'
Levy sighed as she began to write,  'I know what you're going to say.  You don't like him.  I know that, but I think you're just worried for me.  He is actually one of the most caring person out there,'

"Are you okay?" I asked instead, "Your feet and legs, they must hurt a lot.  I still think we all should have took a break.  It wasn't fair to you."

Levy lowered her head, 'I don't want to be a nuisance.  I don't want to be constantly helped because I can't do anything by myself anymore.  You carry me and allow myself to lean on you, but I shouldn't.  You're the closest one I met and I want to stay that way.  I don't want you to be my caregiver Lehz,'

"Levy, you're anything but a nuisance and I do all that because I want to.  I do that because I... I care about you and your well-being.  Because if I don't who else is.  Lucino sure won't," I stated a bit bitterly, "he doesn't think of that," I crossed my arms.

Levy lowered her head, "Lez I'm sorry.  I didn't want to worry you or anything.' She frowned before turning to me one last time, 'Can you stay with me please?'

I smiled, "Anything for you, Levy." I pressed my head on her shoulder, "No matter what, I'll never leave you.  That's a promise."

She smiled back at me in response.

The days went by and I kept at her side for the most part.  There was the times where she spent her days with Lucino, of course, much to my demise.  Still, he seemed to suddenly care for her out of the blue.  I didn't understand what changed.  It was odd and strange.

However, the next morning was when everything started to slowly fall apart.

If only I knew then, I would have prevented so much more.

I would have traded my own so that in time it would be she....

The morning came like a warm breeze after endless sorrows of guilt.  The sun was shining gold and the sky held a pastel blue hue.

I was still with Levy and it almost felt like we used to be.  Those hurting feelings were still visible, but it was almost like I could ignore them.

She stared back at me.

"Morning Levy," I told her.

Levy wrote on the notepad, 'I think we will get married soon.  I just know it now.  I overheard him saying that too,' Levy just grinned at me.

Her words brought be both sadness and relief.   Sadness because I didn't trust him nor liked him at all for Levy.  She deserves someone much more, abyss, I didn't even deserve her.  But someone even greater than myself.
And relief that she won't have to die if all else fails.