57

Monika and I lay in bed. I've kept my godly form, so she lays on top of my chest, curled up, playing with the dang on my necklaces.

I stroke her back idly as I watch the ceiling.

"You know I would kill for you," I whisper.

"You've been killing since before I existed," she responds.

I suppose that's true. "I'd die for you."

"You have a morbid fascination with your own death anyway," she shrugs.

I smirk. Damn it. She knows me too well.

"I would hug Orion for you," I offer. She sits up, giggling.

"Aw. You really love me huh?" She snuggles up to my chest, making patterns on the white dots on my skin. There are none. I don't think. But Monika traces her fingers over them anyway, trying to make constellations of them.

Moments like this make eternity seem like a blessing. To do this with her every night, stare at the ceiling while her gentle hands carress me fills me with anticipation.

I want to go to sleep, wake up, and do something fun tomorrow. Maybe go see a festival, watch a play, learn a skill.

Monika makes every day worth living.

"I still don't know my true name,"  I clench my jaw. I want to tell her. To confide in her. But I...I don't want to burden her with worry.

She cups my face, pressing her head against mine. When I first did that...I meant to convey to her that she was safe.

Safe with me. I find it ironic, that I feel that now.

"It's like something deeper is missing," I admit. "I don't know my name, Monika. And what's in a name is more than Language. It holds one's soul."

She leans her head back taking a deep breath. Her body rises as I sit up, to behold the majesty of her.

"Your name is the name the people who love you call you."

Her eyes open. "Slade...that's your true name. And anyone who tells you differently is a liar."

She lets herself fall into my arms, confident I will catch her. I do.

I always will. Her soft lips press against mine, her fingers in my hair. Such a small woman, whose origins are human.

Nothing but human. And yet, more than Orion, Youin or Fringella, or even the Balance, she is powerful.

Because all she's done, is smile at me, and there's nothing I won't do. No request I will deny.

No action I won't take for her.

"It is the name I call you by. And the name you answer to." She kissed my cheek, yawning. "Tomorrow you need to talk to your children about boundaries. Yesterday Fallon came in when I was dressing and then didn't leave."

I chuckle, as she circles up on my chest once more, nuzzling her little face deeper into her chest.

"You're not afraid of this?"

She yawns again. "Afraid of what? Fallon? She means well, it's just-"

"Me. In this form. I don't resemble a human as much."

I wince as I wait. She just yawns, pulling my wing over her back, intertwining our legs. "What do you mean? You're you."

Orion has the wrong concern. The problem isn't whether I'm turning human. The problem is I retain my power, and she, this small woman, holds it all in her hands.

"Right. I'm me."

And that's that. The conversation is over now, in her mind, she's on to sleeping, and my wings are her comforter, and my body is her mattress and I would never change it.

• • •

"Fallon stops walking in on Monika changing," I murmur the next morning before Monika gets up.

"We're all girls," She shrugged.

I raise my brow. She sighs, speeding up to me, hanging onto my arm. So unruly. It's because Monika spoils her so.

"Fallon," I admonish she swings from my arm. "Hey, you're going back to the summit soon?"

Dion and Solice enter the room already bickering.

Monika floats in. "Good morning family," she calls her long silk white dress low cut and flowing with her. She settles onto my lips, and I kiss her head good morning.

"Hey, Ma why'd you rat me out to Slade?"

"Because honey I'm tired of you looking at my breasts it's weird now."

She grumbled Crossing her arms. "Mine doesn't do that."

I winced, shaking my head. "Let's change the subject."

Nathaniel sighs heavily. "I'm wondering about this summit."

Po sets down breakfast. Monika thanks her softly, patting her hand.

"Nathaniel, if I have to keep telling you to stay in your place, I will have to make to a place for you and force you there."

I pick up a biscuit, handing it to Monika.

"Now you wouldn't like that. And, frankly, neither would I. I would hate to have to do that to my eldest son."

Nathaniel narrows his eyes. "I see."

The children look among themselves. Monika eats quietly. I don't think she knows the difference between this and me telling them I'll make them do sword training until their arms fall off.

One is a threat. The other is a very real promise. I love him. But more and more, I fear-

Monika smiles eating her biscuit in my lap. And then she's gone, not a trace of her.

I blink.