64

I get blank stares. I suppose it's bold and maybe a bit reckless To threaten them this way, but it must be done. After a moment the outage summers down, and, the reason for the council has disappeared so lower gods, not finding their drama start leaving.

Fringilla shakes her head, flowers blooming as she walks up to me.

How can she do that in the void?

"Really Slade, did you always used to be so emotional?"

I shake my head. "Not really."

I head home. Monika doesn't greet me, which gives me pause. But there she is in the bedroom.

She looks up at me and smiled. Oh...what is this face?

"Monika? What's wrong?"

She smiles. "Nothing. Did everything work out?"

I nod. Sitting next to her. "Yes. But I wanted to ask you some questions. About what happened when you disappeared."

"Yeah. I have a question first. You said Nathaniel was your blood," she looks up at me, her brown eyes sparkling. "You meant that literally didn't you?"

I pause. Although I love Nathaniel and I'm glad that he was born I wish I had saved the privilege of bearing my first child for my wife instead of a woman whose name I don't even know.

I'm tempted to lie to assuage her feelings. But I feel it would make it even worse of a betrayal on top of a betrayal.

So instead, I nod. "I was a young god, over a millennia ago and I...was craving...someone who didn't hate me," I say carefully. "I'm sorry, Monika."

She stands, her feet leaving the if she paces in mid-air. She wrings her hands, the white eyes flickering from red to white.

I have never encountered it, but subconsciously I know this is her wrath. So I don't speak. She deserves it, I think. I am her husband. I am her God and I promised her my loyalty.

"S-so..." she chuckles. "I mean I shouldn't be upset. It was a thousand years ago right? A thousand. Exactly?"

I shrug, "Give or take a few hundred years."

She nods, clenching her jaw. "And you don't remember her name or what she looks like?"

I shake my head. "I was foolish."

"When you said blood I thought it was another reference to your ritual. But then I kept thinking you don't say blood, you say power," she scoffed, looking at me. "And then it dawned on me last night before the sun rose."

"And I don't want to be upset with you, because you didn't know me. And...it's not right to be upset, right, Slade? You treat me so well and you...but you also knew and never told me."

No, I didn't. I look down at my hands as she floats higher. She's never been truly upset at me before. I purse my lips. I don't like it.

"No. I didn't."

"So you've been lying for over a hundred years," she smiles, the white of her eyes finally red all over. "But I'm really just pissed you got another human pregnant! Why? And..."

She sighs, closing her eyes. "Say something!"

I swallow, standing, grabbing her foot gently pulling her down. "I understand that you're upset. You have a right to be. It was a one-time thing and I didn't mean for it to happen. I was young and I hadn't learned to control all my powers."

I pull her in. "And I am sorry, Monika."

"I wanted...to give you your first child," she whispered. "The first child of your blood."

I nod. "And that was your right as my wife and I'm sorry I took it from you."

She goes silent with a swallow. "At least...you have Nathaniel." She whispers.

She's kind. Kinder than I would be. She took those children in, and she cared for them when she didn't have to. Especially since though, they look like adults they are all very...

Well, I left them in a state.

"Yes. I'm happy he exists, although, I wish through better circumstances. I'm truly sorry Monika. I'd don't know how to tell you, and as years went by I didn't know I should."

She pulls back. "Another woman. A human?"

I nod softly. She holds her head. "I should've known. You had too much experience."

I raise my brows. "Ah..."

"I can't believe this. A tainted god. I want a refund," she leans on my shoulder.

I chuckle. "Weren't you engaged when I took you?"

She spared a laugh. "I was also dying. If anything tainted me I'd have to say it was the poison."

Monika sighs, her brown skin going back to its normal color.

I have at least beheld the majesty of her godly form. Her skin resembles mine, black as night, her eyes red. Her hair stays the same, at the least, and she grows.

I press my forehead against hers. "No matter what, my first child with you, will be our first child," I promise. "And I will love them."

She smiles. "I know you will, Slade. And you'll say it, right? In words not just actions without an explanation."

I roll my eyes with a grumble. "Yes..."

"And we'll use kindness and not force them to do physical labor as a deterrent."

I sigh. "Maybe not for centuries at a time, but a few hours at least."

Monika sighs shaking her head.