68

I remember one day. It was...about 50 or so years ago. Monika had just learned to control her powers well. So I take her out, to this secluded city.

She was wearing this black dress, it hugged her curves so nicely. She held my hand and we walked through the street.

She was so happy. She kissed my cheek and she said to me, she looked at me and she smiled and she said: "You look so handsome in this town."

And I have no clue what that meant, and I still don't and she didn't explain just shrugged as if there were more but she was going to bother, and I don't know... I remember that.

I remember that town. I remember that day. I remember that dress because I kept thinking, I want to go to every town with her.

And then there was Moshoy. We went to Moshoy. We went to a street cart to get a corn dog and I had to eat she insisted. She orders one corn dog because I don't like eating.

I only eat just enough to maintain my corporal form.

The woman at the stall smiles at us and asks if we need anything else. She knows I don't like talking to strangers. She speaks up.

"Me and my husband are fine, thanks."

And sure it's not the first time she called me her husband, but something about that made me so happy.

She tugged me a little closer and I let her. And I hated that fucking corn dog.

Tasted like grease and suffering.

And I'm crying. I hate it. I hate being without her. Every single day. She's here. I forget what it felt like not to have her on my shoulder. In my lap. Playing with my hair.

Whispering mean comments about other people.

Does she know her husband likes men?
That top doesn't really match? I'm not being too mean right?

And she is. But I love it. I love it when she's mean to random humans. It's so cute.

I'm alone now. My wife.

"Are you alright sir?"

I look up. There's an older woman who stands next to me. I'm sitting at the foot of her altar. I'm close to her here while I figure out what to do.

"No. I can't find my wife. And she can't find me,"

The older woman sits next to me with surprising ease. "Where did she go?"

I look up at her. "I don't know. But when I find her...I am going to be a very, very bad god."

She chuckles. "That so? You're an interesting young man."

I smile. "Am I? Because I'm one second away from disintegrating the entirety of this planet."

And then, I'll take my wife from the rubble. The kids. Find a nice place on the moon and lay her down.

I smile. Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I want right now.

"And what would happen to your wife."

I sit up. The temple is empty now. I look up at her. Does she know? Can she see me?

"She'll be fine. Everyone's gone home, old lady. You should too." I remark over my shoulder. She looks at me.

I sit up. "Who...are you?"

Her lips tug up, her eyes narrowing. "You don't know me, young man?"

Who is this woman? And why are eyes so peculiar I stand?

"Who are you? Fringilla? Perhaps a minor god."

She smirks. "Minor. That's a title you could never ascribe to me."

I raise my brows. Then who...I scramble to my feet.

"Hey...old woman. Who are you? Tell me your name?"

I materialize my sword.

She looks at the statue. "She's beautiful," she says softly.

It gives me pause. I put my sword away.

"It doesn't do her justice," I gruff. "She's far more gorgeous in person."

I look over and she's gone. I frown.

Who the hell was that?