78

Monika puts on her armor, tying her hair up.

"How do you feel," I murmur.

Her hands shake, her fingers pressing against her cheeks, patting lotion into her skin.

"Nervous. Almost...excited."

She turns around, her fingers lifting to my face, patting lotion into my face. My nose wrinkled but I hold still.

"We have to stick together," she whispered. "Do you think the kids will worry?"

I hold her wrists gently. "Perhaps we should them with us. They are my army, after all. And I would feel better if they were in my sight."

She smiles, her dark brown eyes lifting to my red ones.

"War...Ah," I put my hands around her waist, pressing my lips against her shoulder.

I open the closet next to us, taking something out. Monika gasps, turning around, her feet already leaving the floor.

I chuckle. "I...made for this for you," I offer, holding up the fur cape, a replica of mine. "I thought...I wanted everyone to know you're my goddess."

Her lips turn up into a grin, as she pulls me up into the air with her, using more strength than I thought she had. Her arms wrap around me, as she squeals in happiness.

If I had known she wanted it that much I would've made it for her years ago. She puts it on, twirling around.

"Oh, it's a perfect fit. Slade," she cups my cheek, nuzzling her face with mine.

I can feel my skin get hot under her affection.

"It was...nothing big."

She pressed her forehead against mine softly. "I love it;" she whispered.

We head out of the bedroom. Nathaniel waits for the kids standing behind him.

"I had no choice but to hear," he said simply. "So I gathered the troops," he glanced over his shoulder. "If you can call them that."

"Hey!"

Monika floats along as we walk out of the temple.

"Remember, stick together," she lectures, floating ahead and leaving my hand. "Within a hollers reach. And you all need to be nice-"

I pull Nathaniel back from the group, putting my arm around his shoulder. He looks up at me with a frown.

"Slade?"

"Keep your voice down," I murmur, "No one can hear me but you, and I'm going to keep it that way,"

He frowns but nods.

"If you see that I'm about to do something heinous, I want you to take her away."

"Why? She's a goddess now, isn't she?"

I look up at her, as Fallon races around her, her face beaming with laughter, making the grass grow to trip her up.

I sigh. "Because deep down she's a good person. And deep down...I'm not."

Nathaniel sighs. "Yeah...whatever, Father."

He moves and I pull him back once more. "One more thing...don't go doing anything reckless like sacrificing yourself,"

Nathaniel shifts uncomfortably. I peer down at him.

"You will always be my eldest. My first-born son. No one can take that away from you. But if you die, I will kill you."

He sighs, shouldering out of my hold. "Doesn't make sense, old man."

I sigh, shaking my head. What can I do with these kids?

Monika glanced back at me, "Hurry Slade, you have to stay with the pack, too."

Right. I nod, moving a bit faster. "I brought snacks for the road. Is anyone hungry? I'll grow a quick apple tree."

"We just left the temple like five minutes ago," Nathaniel points out.

"I'm hungry," Fallon shouts.

"You're always hungry," Dion complains. "If you stop running around all the time you'd actually be able to eat like a normal person."

We've elected to walk most of the way. It's been a hundred some years since the start of the world war we started. It ended in 5 years.

Since that time; the countries of Moshoy, Florence, Proviline; Seine, Britany, Caraire, and Al-Rak have recuperated.

Now we must throw them into turmoil again. Starting with the descendant of the man who hurt my son.

I didn't avenge him then. It was wrong. It didn't matter about balance I should've done right by him. But I'll fix it. Well...make it a bit better. And Fallon. I will find her someone to love.

For the things I've done to my children, to call myself a God I must atone.  And more than repentance, I must right my wrongs and make sure they lead happy lives from here on out.

Monika settled down on my shoulder. "Thinking deep thoughts?"

I smirk. "Are you? You keep zoning out."

She looks away. "I've been flooded with prayers. More than I ever have." 

Monika's skin glows under the sun as she lifts her face up to it. "I'm just getting acclimated to it. How do you...answer them?"

I take her hand. "If it's something you can do, just set with intent, to answer it. So...if someone asks you to grow a rose...close your eyes and think, I want a rose to grow for that person."

"They're asking me to bless marriages though. And relationships. They keep calling me a goddess of love."

She looks down. "But I'm not. A Goddess of war."

I smile. "You are both. And I believe much more."