28

The day finally came, today was my graduation

The day finally came, today was my graduation. Although I was happy for myself that I got to graduate, I was also pretty nervous.

What if no college accepted me? What would I do then? My mom would be so disappointed. I don't want to disappoint her.

As I'm sitting here with my other classmates,I can't help but think of the future. I had no idea what I wanted to do or what I should do. I just know I didn't want to disappoint anyone with my decisions.

I look around the crowd of families and loved ones but I couldn't find the two people I was looking for. I waved at my dad who sat in the front row, he's my number one supporter. He wanted to get here early so that he'd have the perfect seat to watch.

He gives me a genuine smile and waves back. I look around at the people but my mom wasn't among any of them. Maybe she was stuck in traffic. Or maybe the twins were throwing tantrums again and she was busy calming them down. I hope one of those reasons were true.

But I knew I was just making excuses for her. I look around for the other person who I looked forward to being here. There was no sign of him either.

I sigh in disappointment as I turn around. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, especially with my mom but I really thought that maybe she would show up. I don't maybe I'm just holding on to false hope.

I  did think at least Heath would show up. I guess I shouldn't be too upset about it, they didn't have to come anyway. Once the principal was done giving his speech, one of the teachers finally called my row as we got ready to walk the stage.

I was behind some guy as I waited for my name to be called. I patiently wait my turn and applaud at the other students whose turn it was to walk the stage.

"Thalia Kennedy" I hear my name being called and I bite my lip as I walk across the stage for my diploma.

I suddenly hear a cheer and look into the crowd to see my dad in the audience. He was the only one standing up in a seated crowd as he clapped his hands and cheered for me.

"That's my daughter!" He shouts and I laugh at him. I wasn't embarrassed at all, I was happy that I had someone to even do that for me.

I shake the principals hand and once again look out onto the crowd. Someone catches my attention and I stop walking. Heath.

He did come after all.

I make eye contact with him and he gives me a sly smirk as he participates in the applause with my dad. I smile and walk off the stage, taking a seat where I was before.

My mood slightly bettered at the sight of him. He does care, he showed up. I couldn't help the smile that crept up on my face.

I forced myself to sit still through the rest of the ceremony and cheered extra hard for Lola and Mateo. Eventually the principal gives another speech and tells us to switch the string thingy of our caps to the our side, whatever this means.