From Dozens to One

This fic is one I wrote for @expectoanimagi 's birthday. It's an angsty Dorlene fic that I adore greatly and hope you (especially H) enjoy!

Trigger Warning: The entire fic contains implied running away, minor character death (off page), mass murder (off page), grief.

August 1, 1960

Just over a dozen people gathered in the large living room of the family manor, eagerly awaiting the arrival of their newest family member. Among them, and perhaps the most excited, was Sandra McKinnon. As the oldest daughter of Jean and Michael McKinnon, she had taken it upon herself to make sure her baby sister's room was ready for when the baby arrived. She was ten years older than her sister which meant that she could take care of her sister once she was taken home. She didn't have to wait until she was older like Susie had when Johnny was born.

She was going to be the best big sister ever.

The door opened and immediately the family, who had previously been relaxed as they waited, shot to their feet and stared intently at Jean and Michael.

"Well?" Nancy McKinnon demanded. She had a well manicured hand on her niece's shoulder to stop her from tackling her parents in an effort to see her baby sister. Her rings glinted in the light.

"Everyone, meet Marlene McKinnon," Michael announced, shifting the bundle in his arms so that everyone in the living room could see the infant's face.

That night was spent celebrating the arrival of their newest family member and introducing the child to relatives she would not truly remember until she was a toddler. Her sister stayed by her side the entire night, even when she was eating and wasn't allowed to hold her.

That night, Sandra snuck into the nursery and slept on the floor beside the crib so that she could help her sister if she started crying in the night. When her parents found Sandra there when they checked on Marlene, they just smiled and summoned a bed for her so she was more comfortable.

"I guess we don't have to worry about Sandy getting jealous of her sister," Jean mused as she and her husband crept back to their room.

June 2, 1965

Two girls ran through the garden without a care in the world. They weaved around their aunts and mom that were gossiping while they set the table, ducked under the arms of their uncles and dad that were grilling and drinking Firewhiskey on the back deck, and leapt over their cousins that were sitting on the grass playing card games.

The younger girl laughed as her sister caught her and tossed her into the air before spinning her around like a ballerina. The older girl grinned, just glad her sister was happy and out of hearing range of the ministry gossip. Her sister was too young to be burdened with those things.

The two girls laughed as they chased each other through the back garden, spinning and jumping and playing as the sunlight danced across their skin and their dresses spun around them.

Neither could imagine a world in which they didn't play in the garden together.

June 15, 1966

Only one girl was in the back garden, sitting under a tree alone while her family socialized in the main area of the garden. Her aunts and mom prepared the table as they gossiped, her dad and uncles drank Firewhiskey as they grilled, and her cousins sat together playing cards.

Her cousins would have included her, she knew that. But she also knew that they would have gotten annoyed at having to help her play their games and filter their conversations eventually. She was the youngest in the family, and the closest cousin to her age was ten years older than her. And even then, Joseph was never very patient with her. Not like Sandy was.