Chapter 36.2

Chapter 36 – Part 2

The Duchess of Nerma appearing in such a low profile would be a bit of a pity, though today was different. At one point, I felt that I had to arrange her order properly to prevent her ego from climbing like this again.

Duchess Nerma was a quick-witted person. She would not straighten her back, or raise her head for a while.

Meanwhile, Cisen glanced down at Duchess Nerma's head as if she was gloating.

Even though the purpose of today's gathering must be communion with the Empress, no one dared to speak to me carelessly. It was similar to the atmosphere of the political affairs meeting I had seen recently.

Everyone conversed with each other and praised me as if to let me hear, but that was it. They could not talk to me recklessly.

I was grateful for this solid atmosphere today.

As my cheeks became pale, I did not want to get caught with cold sweat on my forehead. Why did I study so hard about the people who came here in the first place? Perhaps, it was because I did not want to give the impression that I was losing.

...In the end, studying was useless, although I appealed to my strength in other ways.

On the other hand, those who came to the gathering were in a position to put down their swords since they were not in a position to cut down anything now. It must have been a pity that they came all the way here and could not talk to me.

All of a sudden, the way they looked at me started to change. A little while ago, it was hardship and longing, but now, their calculations were peeking out, 'What must I say to satisfy Her Majesty?'

However, the corridor leading to the terrace suddenly started to become noisy.

I narrowed my eyes slightly.

"What's going on?"

Upon hearing my rebuke, the Duchess of Nerma moved swiftly as if trying to regain her lost score. Nevertheless, Cisen was a little faster by a hair's breadth.

"I'll find out, Your Majesty."

I nodded my head.

I thought it would be no big deal since most things would be handled by the guard line. Nonetheless, after a while, those who had been sitting well began to stand up at once and swiftly bowed their backs toward the hallway.

I, who was frowning slightly because of my throbbing stomach and waist, raised my head and looked at it.

A slender and beautiful man was approaching this way with a light gait.

"His Majesty the Emperor enters."

When the Duchess of Nerma spearheaded it, all the other nobles received the words.

Since I could not get up, I just stared at him, bewildered. The pain that was tormenting me seemed to have disappeared at that moment.

I was too speechless.

'...Why is His Majesty coming out of there?'

What was wrong with my gathering!

The sun seemed to stop shining as he ambled out onto the terrace.

Again, it was an amazing beauty. Sharp, bright eyes swept through the hallway. His thin lips curled up slightly, and dimples appeared on his cheeks.

"This isn't a very friendly atmosphere?"

As soon as he arrived, his first words hit the nail on the head and it felt like I was going to get a penetrating wound.

I choked on my water a little and coughed.

Meanwhile, Raniero was still striding along with the sound of footsteps. He could walk so quietly that no one could hear him if he wanted. Though the sound of his footsteps filled this space with a daunting presence.

He approached me so easily.

I looked up at him reflexively. As always, when he saw something strange, his head would tilt slightly as his golden hair brushed over his forehead. Then, he gently stole my forehead with his hand.

I must have been having cold sweats.

Raniero's smile widened a little before opening his mouth with his eyes fixed on me.

"I've no idea who is who."

Haha. You're a little late today, Your Majesty. Your lines have become cliche now because I have already said that a while ago.

...And, when you say things like that, please at least pretend to look over there.

Perhaps, I had learned how to hide my expression, Raniero just touched my lips without saying anything. Of course, all the wounds he had inflicted had already healed. But, why was he touching it now...?

I made a slightly puzzled face, then realized what he was thinking the next moment.

'...Ah.'

I was not feeling well, so my lips were rough.

Raniero finally took his eyes off me. I also averted my eyes from him as well. Then, naturally, I glanced back at the guests, who had their mouths half-opened as if possessed and looked foolish as if they were being sucked in this way.

He spoke softly, brushing my thin hair back.

"I wanted to take the Empress."

It was a frivolous declaration with no context — so characteristic of him.

"So, I'll take her."

Saying so, he bent down and embraced me into his arms. I held onto his neck quickly, afraid of falling. The summer sun was shining straight down my head.

Being held in his arms easily, Raniero said with a calm smile.
​​
"My wife's more likely to enjoy being with me than spending a boring time with you."