Promises

Diluc casually opens the front door for him, Kaeya, and (Y/n), not knowing of the wrath that the said (H/c)ette was about to face.

"And where the hell were you?" An angry voice asked from the top of the staircase that sat off to the side.

(Y/n) stiffened up when he heard his mother's voice. She was not happy with him for sneaking out.

"H-Hi mom." (Y/n) nervously greeted as he tried his best to shrink behind Diluc's figure who stood in front of him protectively.

(M/n) clicked her tongue in annoyance as she walked down the stairs, making a stop in front of the children.

Diluc gritted his teeth when he saw the anger swimming in (M/n)'s eyes. Why did the woman even care? She was taking away (Y/n)'s childhood for Barbatos' sake!

Kaeya gave a neutral and quiet look despite wanting to push away the woman in front of him, not wanting the other to take another step toward the younger that hid right behind him.

(Y/n) clutched onto Diluc's shirt as his (E/c) hues drifted up into his mother's furious gaze.

(M/n) ignored the two boys that tried to protect her son and harshly snatched (Y/n)'s wrist.

Kaeya could feel his body shake as he watched (Y/n) become petrified in his mother's hold.

Diluc clenched his hands into a fist, not wanting to make a commotion by accidentally punching the woman in front of him, his brother, and (Y/n).

Just where the hell was their father?

(Y/n) winced quietly as he tried his best to escape the strong hold that his mother had which was starting to bruise his skin. "Mom... you're hurting me," he quietly whimpered out.

(M/n) ignored the silent pleads her child gave out as she stared into her son's (E/c) hues with enraged eyes. "How many fucking times have I told you to never leave my sight? You weren't even supposed to be out there! Who permitted you to leave? I know I didn't," she hissed angrily.

"I allowed them to come with us, Mrs. (L/n)," Diluc spoke up, ignoring the harsh stare that was sent at him.

(M/n) gritted her teeth as she stared at her child who kept trying to get away from her.

Raising a hand, Diluc and Kaeya's eyes widened in horror when they realize that (M/n) was about to slap (Y/n) just because he wanted to explore one nation of Teyvat.

Before the female elf could even land a hand on her child, another hand had snatched her wrist.

Crepus stared blankly at the woman in front of him while forcing the woman's other hand off of (Y/n)'s wrist.

(Y/n) stumbled back while clutching his wrist against his chest before turning around and running straight into Diluc's hold.

Crepus lightly glared at (M/n). "You two ice up and bandage that bruise for (Y/n), okay? I have to talk with (M/n) here." He states as he urged the three children to go off.

Diluc and Kaeya nodded their heads and led (Y/n) into the kitchen to grab some ice.

(Y/n) trembled in Diluc's hold as he was guided to sit onto a stool with the help of Kaeya.

"Are you okay? I didn't know your mother would've done that to you!" Diluc exclaimed in anger despite holding a look of worry for the younger.

Kaeya came walking over with a small cup of ice so that he could lightly press it up against the bruising (S/c) skin that belonged to (Y/n).

(Y/n) lowered his head, keeping his eyes on the floor. He was glad that they stopped his mother as Diluc had promised, but that didn't mean that his mother wouldn't act up again.

"She's always been like this," (Y/n) whispered underneath his breath as his eyes teared up a bit, biting back a whimper as Diluc lightly pressed the cup of ice against his skin.

"Always? That's not normal! If you're not allowed outside of the house, what does she make you do?!" Diluc angrily asked.

(Y/n) used his free hand to wipe away any tears that escaped his eyes. "Studying... I was only allowed out of the house once a week," he answered with a broken look.

"When did this start if you don't mind me asking?" Diluc gently asked.

Kaeya was searching for a roll of bandages that kept disappearing from the kitchen since that's where mostly the accidental injuries happened due to cooking.

(Y/n) gazed at his hands quietly, trying to remember where this weird strict behavior had come from. "I... I think it started when I found a photo of my pa- father. Mom didn't explain to me who he was but I could tell how much I looked like him," he began quietly.

Diluc hummed lightly as he pulled the cup of ice away and dumped the ice out an open window.

Kaeya came walking over to the duo, listening in to the conversation.

"That's not a reason to discipline you!" Diluc exclaimed.

(Y/n) shook his head. "She said that since I was old enough to find out secrets that weren't supposed to come to light, I was old enough to learn and do things that big kids and adults are supposed to know," he murmured.

Kaeya rubbed his hands together as he watched his brother wrap bandages around (Y/n)'s wrist.

"You're not a big kid, (Y/n). You're four years old for Barbatos' sake, you were snatched away from having a childhood." Diluc points out as he finished wrapping up the younger's wrist.

"Mmh," (Y/n) mumbled out.

"Will you let us protect you, (Y/n)?" Diluc suddenly asked.

(Y/n) gazed at Diluc in confusion.

Diluc softened his gaze a bit. "If something ever happens to you, come find one of us and we'll protect you."

(E/c) eyes widened a bit. "Promise?" (Y/n) whispered out, his voice trembling a bit.

"Promise," Kaeya and Diluc repeated in sync.

(Y/n)'s eyes glazed over in tears once more as he jumped into the brothers' arms, small wet tears slipping down his cheeks.

"Thank you," he whimpered out while clutching onto the duo's shirt, falling asleep in their embrace.

"You're welcome."