Chapter Two. Damn Good Babysitter

CHAPTER TWO
damn good babysitter

AT FIRST, HER babysitting business was a blow. She plastered those stupid posters everywhere— the corner store, the police station, the lamppost on Wallace Street. Why was no one calling her number? Lucy was a straight A student, an athlete, and the Chief of Police's daughter; so why was she still broke?

The first call was from the Kempinski family. Their son, Paul, he was an absolute menace. Lucy knew that, but still, she put on her most responsible persona and prepared to take on Hawkins worst behaved kid— it ended in tragedy. She stepped on a Lego, nearly burnt down the kitchen, and Paul bit her. Instead of going straight home, Lucy went to the emergency room to get a tetanus shot. That was her last time babysitting Paul Kempinski.

Business kickstarted in spring of '80 when Lucas and Erica Sinclair needed someone to watch them after school— lucky them, Lucy was available! Two kids turned to three when Lucas introduced her to Dustin Henderson, who introduced her to Will Byers. She already knew Mike through Nancy, and then, without noticing, Lucy was a part of their group— "The Party", as they called it.

The above head lights flickered. They had been huddled in the basement for hours; the sun was set and the sky was painted with nothing but twinkling stars. Opened pizza boxes and candy wrappers littered the carpeted floors, the dull whirring of the of the fan filling the silent room. Anticipation was high, and they were all holding their breath— the Party was in the middle of a ten hour Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

Lucy's face, hidden behind a pamphlet, was filled with nothing but mischief. Her eyes twinkled, "Something is coming," she spoke lowly, "Something hungry for blood. A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"What is it?" Will leaned forward, face turning a pale hue. Dustin shuddered beside him. "What if it's the Demogorgan?" the curly haired boy said with worry, "Oh, Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgan!"

Lucas shook his head. "It's not the Demogorgan."

She jumped up in her seat. "An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" the older girl grabbed a handful of figures and slammed them onto the table, watching as each boy sighed in relief.

"Troglodytes?" Dustin chuckled, the worried expression on his face dropping. Lucas shrugged. "Told ya."

Lucy paused. Her eyes traced down each boy, the suspension growing worse by the second. She drew in a sudden gasp. "Do you hear that?" the girl looked around the room anxiously, "Boom... boom... boom!" The boys before her flinched as she slammed a hand down on the table, Will's eyes going wide with worry. "That didn't come from the troglodytes, no."

Mike groaned. "Shit."

She grabbed another figure, slamming it down on the center of the table, "The Demogorgan!"

Dustin's hands flew to his hair, "We're in deep shit!" he cried, shaking his head.

Lucy's hand went flying in Will's direction. She pointed, "Will, your action!" she called to the boy.