23 || I'll take it as a promise

| CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
| I'll take it as a promise

| CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE| I'll take it as a promise

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

The morning before I left was slow. My mom had made me some breakfast as my dad was too tired from working late the night before, and my sister made sure I didn't leave before remembering to get her stuff from every state.

The leaving part turned out not to be that difficult. The fact that I wouldn't be seeing my family for two months again only settled in once I was on the plane to Washington, where I met up with the rest of the crew.

After our first show in Tacoma, we started taking the bus everywhere. This was fine at first, but as always when the band was paired up together, people started getting tired of each other quickly.

"Oh come on. We haven't even been driving for an hour yet. Who decided it was a good idea to start microwaving fucking mac and cheese right now? I swear to god, it's Danny, isn't it?" Maurice said. He looked at me. "Does this not bother you?"

Danny turned around to Maurice and stuck out his tongue like a child, to which Maurice rolled his eyes.

"What are those?" Danny asked when he came to sit down next to me. I was eating one of the cookies Nolan made. He'd given me a jar full of them to take with me. I'd been taking care of them religiously.

"They're mine," I said, savoring the deep, but light chocolatey flavor of the cookie with my tongue. "If I count any less than twenty two in my jar, you're fucked."

"Did your dad make these?" he asked, snatching half my last bite away from my fingers, crumbling it all up in the process. He poured the crumbs into his mouth anyway.

"Didn't I tell you not to touch?" I asked.

"Then give me one? Please?"

"No. They're custom made," I said, eating the last bit left between my fingers.

"So rude," he said, getting up from his seat and walking away towards the bunks. He lied down on the top bunk and dramatically closed the curtain. Kaia's head stuck out from the bunk underneath him.

"What about the mac and cheese you just made the entire bus smell like?"

"I'm upset," he said from behind his curtain.

"Are you high?"

His head and a hand now stuck out from behind the curtain, holding up a lit joint.

"Are you kidding me, Danny?"

"I'm an adult with a window," he said. "I do whatever I please."

"Yeah, until the bus is on fire. Stop being stupid," Kaia said, reaching up to try and slap him in the face.