Chapter 21: To Win and To Lose

"Took you long enough

"Took you long enough." Scarus leaned against the doorframe, one hand raised in a knocking-motion while the other held an envelope.

He was drenched, his dark auburn hair was wet and covered most of his face until he moved it out the way to get a good look at Sera. She was alarmed by his appearance and at first thought he was bleeding from his head. It took her a second to recover..

"Were you sleeping or..." Drifting off when he smelt a familiar metallic stench, he immediately noticed Sera's hand. "What happened?" He tried to grab her hand; she pulled away like she always did.

Forcing a hollow smile on her face, she greeted him. "Sorry, I was working on some bouquets and arrangements...took me a while to get to the door."

Her words felt like an excuse to him but remembering the letter in his hand, he tried his best not to be rude. "What happened to your hand?" He reached for her hand and this time she let him check her injured right hand.

"What happened to your face?" She asked in turn, noticing the deep cut above his brow.

He stiffened at her question, thinking she was asking about the scar but then he paused to think, lightly touching the cut above brow. His face twisted into a complicated look and his appearance reminded her of an abandoned dog left out in the rain.

He almost looked pitiful.

Quickly she discarded the thought. He came from a wealthy family and most of all he was the guard the President chose for her; she was the one who deserved the pity not him.

"I asked first."

"So you did."

Scarus' tried to peek inside her apartment but Sera blocked his view with her body. He shifted his attention and took note of her appearance. Unlike his drenched pathetic self, she was dressed in warm and comfortable clothes. A pale yellow satin dress with a white wooly cardigan that fell off one shoulder, exposing her skin.

He reached out and pulled the other shoulder before muttering something about her catching a cold. "I thought you had a family event." Sera kept her gaze on him, studying him carefully. After all, it wasn't like him to show out of the blue.

Exhaling, he looked away as if her words had burned him. "...I left early."

She didn't believe him but then again, he knew she didn't care enough to press him for more. It was so like her to leave others alone and keep to herself. Then again, he walked himself into the situation when he chose to focus only on his idol, Huxley Foret rather than his charge but now somehow, his charge had managed to grab his attention or some of it, at least.

Sera shifted on her feet a little when she heard the sound of a door closing and opening. Inwardly, she was cursing Finnick. She asked him to do one thing and one thing: to hide. "Really? You left early. Did something happen?" She started to speak, trying to mask the sound of Finnick's footsteps and doctored a concerned look on her face.