Chapter 32: Choices

'You can't stop a storm from coming, you can only take shelter from it

'You can't stop a storm from coming, you can only take shelter from it.'

That was what Seraphine was led to believe her whole life.

That was what her aunt taught her.

She always wholeheartedly believed that but looking at the frail shell of a woman in front of her, she couldn't help but want to try and go against what she had always known. She wanted to believe she was doing the right thing, letting her aunt go back home. Deep down she didn't want to let her go just yet, afraid that the moment her aunt boarded the train that would be the last time she saw her.

"How could you decide this on your own?" Nox was angry, no, he was furious. He had never felt such anger towards his favorite cousin. "Did you even think about me?"

"Nox..." Her voice came out strangled and hoarse. She was breathing heavily to stop herself from crying, steeling herself to not show emotions. "Listen you need to understand that this is what your mother-"

Her cousin waved her off and glared at her. "Nox. That's enough." Talissa who at first was against Sera's decision had ultimately come around after much pleading from their aunt and some discussion with her husband. "This is what your mother wanted and you can talk to her, she's right there. Sera was..." Talissa found it difficult to finish talking without turning into a sobbing mess. "Sera was doing what aunt Dahlia wanted."

"So she discharged her without asking me?!" Nox threw the bouquet of flowers he had made earlier on the floor. The flowers crashed onto the flower, multi-colored pastel petals scattering on the floor.

Slowly, aunt Dahlia sat up. Her eyes were bulging out a little with how much weight she had lost in the past few months and her cheeks had caved in but she could still show her anger with just a little change in her expressions. "Lennox!" She weakly gasped. "You...you apologize to Ser-Sera right...now!"

Nox half-heartedly apologized and hurriedly packed his bags before dragging them out. He couldn't stand to even look at Sera despite her being his favorite cousin, things had changed overnight. Deep down he knew, the choices she made weren't hers to make but it was others who had forced her hand but the irrational part of him clouded his mind and he refused to show that he understood her.

Sera didn't really manage to patch things up with Nox before he went back to District 5 with her siblings and aunt. She barely managed to talk to her sister and aunt before they left. Her aunt's final words struck her hard and she had to take the entire day off to think about them.

The two were alone when her aunt hobbled over to her, just mere moments before her discharge from the clinic. Aunt Dahlia turned to Sera with teary eyes. "Sera...I hope you'll be happy...no matter what happens."

An odd thing for her to say, so odd that Sera was left speechless for a second. Eyes wide, she stared at her aunt, lost for words. What could anyone say in response to that?