be careful who you trust

The next morning, I woke up to my door being thrown open

The next morning, I woke up to my door being thrown open. I bolted up and my eyes landed on Dino, who was standing there looking out of breath.

"Why are you still in bed? We have to go! Chop chop, Marls!" With that, he backed out of my room and closed the door. I reached over to my nightstand and pulled out my clock.

7:10.

Oh shit.

Why did my alarm not go off?

I got out of bed and went to my closet to pick out something to wear. Because I was running short on time, I just threw on whatever I could find. I went into the bathroom and decided that I didn't have enough time to do my hair.

Great. Just great.

I brushed the knots out and figured that would be good. I grabbed my bag and went downstairs to the kitchen to find some breakfast. All of my brothers were seated around the bar.

"Sleeping Beauty is finally awake." Lorenzo joked as he shoved a blueberry muffin in his mouth.

I sent him a playful glare and got a banana.

Antonio looked down at his watch and cursed. "We better get going. Marlowe, is that all you want to eat? If you want to grab something else, I'll make an exception to my 'no eating in the car' rule."

I shook my head. "No, I'm good. I'm not much of a breakfast person."

Which was true. Sebastián never made it a big point to eat breakfast. I normally would just grab something small on my way to school.

He nodded and got up to walk to the car. I followed after him, laughing when I heard Dino behind me fumbling around with his things.

During the ride to school, we sat in silence other than Antonio's deafening music. I swear if I keep riding to school with him, I'm going to be deaf by the time I'm 20. He is too. Jeez.

When we pulled into the parking lot, we jumped out of the car and speed-walked into the school. 7:45. Cutting it close this morning.

The first half of the day went fine. At lunch, I sat at the same table as I did yesterday with Sarah. We talked for a while before someone plopped down next to me. I turned to look at them and saw that it was Haidyn.

"Hey. Did you get home fine yesterday?" I asked her before taking a drink of my chocolate milk.

She nodded. "Yeah. Seraphine had Théo drive me home though, so that was fun." She said sarcastically.

Sarah gasped. "Théo Chevalier? What was it like? He's so mysterious."

Haidyn looked at her with an emotionless face. "He's a jerk." She deadpanned.

Sarah's jaw dropped. "Marls. Why are we hanging out with her?"

I stared at her. "Because she's a friend of mine from Texas. That's why." I was starting to get tired of her shit. I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket. I pulled it out and saw I had a text from Antonio.