𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙔-𝙏𝙒𝙊

𝐥𝐢𝐥𝐚𝐡'𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐯 - 

"May I have this dance?"

He'd found me. I'd been avoiding him all night. Of course he'd found me, though, he always managed to find me, even as children when I'd climbed into the top of tree's and his in closet's. 

"I think I'm all danced out, Lieutenant Bradshaw." I slurred, tipping over slightly. The champagne was making me feel light, fuzzy. I suppose that was the point, to keep your feet from hurting. "My shoes make me feet hurt." 

"You aren't wearing shoes." he pointed out, laughing. He held out his hand, gesturing for me to take it. "It would be rude to say no."

"Like I care." I took his hand, nonetheless. It was cold, and engulfed my own completely. He led me onto the large ballroom floor. Multiple other couples were on the floor for the last night of the evening. My grandfather in the crowd with UncleSlider and Wolfy. Mav hadn't been invited, thank goodness. All three were observing the situation with a careful eye. They looked like spies in their black tuxs and held champagne glasses, no doubt refilled with vodka or tequila.

The orchestra started laying a slow song. He put his hand gently onto my waste, pulling me slightly closer. I placed my hand in his palm.

"I've gotcha, L, just follow my lead."  

I did as he told me, letting him take control. He gilded me through the steps, muttering the movements to me. I refused to glance up at him, instead opting to stare at his sweaty white button-up shirt. 

"I've missed you." he murmured into my ear. It sent shivers down my back.

"Of course you have, who wouldn't?" I said, the mock confidence catching in my throat. I finally met his dark green eyes. "I missed you too, Brad." 

"I'm going to spin you." 

That was all the warning I got before I was spinning, my dress flowing around me. I knew I must've looked angelic, because everyone had stopped to stare. He pulled me back to his body and dipped me carefully, perfectly. Just like everything else he did.

We were face to face again, sharing  intense eye contact. He leaned down, hovering right above me ear. "You're gorgeous." 

I blushed, because, no offense, but who wouldn't have blushed if a man, better yet, someone you've known for more than half of your life, told you were pretty, much less gorgeous I couldn't muster up the words to respond with before he placed a gently kiss on my lips.

★★★

My eye lids felt like they were glued shut. I could hear a beeping. There was something in my throat. 

I finally cracked open my eyes enough to see a little light. Bright fluorescent. Hospital lights. I moved my hand until I felt the breathing tube. I yanked it out, grimacing as I struggled to get oxygen to fill my lungs.

Two figures sat around me. One was holding my hand. Neither was sensed my movement. Someone was at the edge of my small bed. I couldn't sit up, the pain coursing through my body stopping me.

"Some friends you all are." 

I recognized that voice. 

Bradley. 

If I hadn't already been struggling to breath, I would've cried. Relief rushed though my body.