The Second Task

Harry had been submerged with the other Champions for fifty-five minutes, now. At first, the fourteen year-old boy's lungs filled with water; but the effects of the Gillyweed plant came into fruition as he sunk into the watery depths of the Black Lake. His vision no longer blurred, his lungs were not burning for air and his feet had mutated into flippers, his hands webbed and gills appeared to allow him to breathe underwater.

The Potter boy had spent almost the entirety of the hour searching the lake desperately for his sister. The students and staff above the surface waited eagerly for the first champion to emerge, Severus returning to the castle to prevent an argument from occurring between himself and Alastor Moody, who refused to leave the lake.

Fleur was the first Champion to return, withdrawing herself from the task at hand. Cedric Diggory was the first to surface and retrieve his treasure, which was none other than the girl he had taken with him to the Yule Ball, Cho Chang. Next, Viktor Krum with Hermione Granger. The only remaining Champion to appear was Harry Potter, who was still searching the lake for his sister; already locating Ronald Weasley minutes before the others...

The world around me was dark, cold and devoid of life. I wasn't dead, but I could slowly feel myself slipping into a more conscious state. And I was no longer on land, a slight shimmer befalling my face as I glanced up to see sun shining through water; my only solace from the nightmare in which I found myself situated. Realisation sunk in, a sudden wave of panic and unrelinquished fear bursting through my as my lungs fought for breath that was, otherwise, non-existent. I was too far from the surface, but that did not stop me from paddling in attempt to reach it before it was too late.

I could feel my arms beginning to burn out of tiredness, willing me to give up. I opened my mouth to scream, but it was muffled as black, murky water entered and filled my lungs. My body came to a sharp halt, beginning to convulse uncontrollably. It wouldn't be long now, I told myself. I just wished I had a chance to say goodbye; to Harry, Ron, Hermione, Remus, Sirius, Draco...And Severus. I felt a small crack form in my chest, beginning to accept my fate. So many 'what if's' came to mind. Had I had my magic, could I have gotten myself out of this situation? I couldn't even remember how I got here...

I could feel my body sinking, my vision slightly blurred as I sunk deeper into the Black Lake, my last ray of hope disappearing with the sun, slowly fading above the dark water. But as quickly as that last slither of light disappeared, another emerged from the depths of the black lake, obscuring my peripheral vision for a moment as it swam closer and closer. No, swam isn't right. Flew. Soared towards me; a white, silvery dove, identical to my own. As it approached, it's head tilted to the side in concern, before it's claw reached out to grasp my finger, which I accepted and clung onto; it was my only lifeline.

The bird lurched forth, using more strength that I had anticipated as it pulled me towards the surface. With less than a moment to spare, I felt my head hit the ice-cold air, my lungs filling with oxygen as I brought up the water in my lungs. The dove disappeared, replaced with a pair of arms wrapping around me and aiding me to the shore, which was surprisingly closer than I had thought. I landed on the stony beach, the final remnants of the lake water spilling from my mouth as I felt a hand patting my back firmly, aiding me in my plight. In an instant, a black cloak was wrapped around me. I did not even need to see their eyes to know who my saviour was.

"You're alright. You're safe." And that was all I needed to hear, from their lips, to wash any ounce of fear away. Their arms encased me, adding warmth as my wet clothes began to seep through his ebony cloak. Unable to subdue my shivering, I began to cry as relief overwhelmed me entirely. "I t-thought I was going to d-die." I spoke between muffled sobs and shaking from the cold.

"Never." I heard Severus Snape's voice break. "I wouldn't let you."

"You p-promise?" I asked, my eyes finally finding his dark ones that fought diligently to suppress any tears from forming. But that sadness was replaced in an instant with sheer determination as his voice spoke with more confidence than he had ever expressed, before.

"Always."

And I believed him, as I always would.

The common room was empty, say for myself and Severus. The rest of the students were in the Great Hall celebrating the day's task. Note had been sent to my brother that I had been found, safe. I sat by the fireplace, warming my cold skin after changing into dry clothing and having a shower. I was still shaking, no longer due to the cold; and the Potion's Master sitting on the couch opposite me had drawn the curtains to a close, preventing me from seeing the Black Lake on the other side. A cup of tea sat in my hands as I sipped it intermittently. A green, velvety blanket covered my lap.

"Emerald, what happened?" Severus' voice spoke softly, disturbing my momentary peace.

My fingers, which I had not realised were drumming against the cup in my hands excessively, came to an abrupt halt. My gaze fixated onto the flames, avoiding the Potion Master's gaze. It was easier to imagine I was talking to the dancing embers. "I don't remember." I spoke solemnly, racking me brain for any answers as to how or why I ended up in the depths of the lake.

"What's the last thing you remember?" His voice remained quiet, comforting. But it did not alleviate my inability to remember anything important.

"Last night, I think? Harry, Ron, Hermione and I were in the library getting ready for the second task. But Moody came in and said Dumbledore needed to speak to us. We left Harry in the library and everything's blank after that." I sighed, rather angry with myself that my mind had blocked out the rest of the night's events.

My gaze finally turned to find Severus, too, glaring into the fireplace for answers; confusion, concern and anger evident in his eyes as he leaned forth in the chair, lacing his fingers together.

"I spoke with Miss Granger, this morning. She informed me that you were not feeling well so you came back to the common room to rest."

My brows furrowed, "I don't remember that. I felt fine, last I remember." I stated, confident in my notion. But a sudden realisation hit me at why I found myself in such a predicament. Why I didn't remember saying I felt unwell, returning to my dorm and somehow ending up in the Black Lake. That same feeling that came with a certain lesson Moody taught us in Defence Against the Dark Arts. A lesson, otherwise, against the law.

"Could I have been cursed?" I gulped, my eyes finding his.

"Cursed as in...Imperioused?" Severus queried, to which I nodded in agreement.

"But who would want to do that to me? Who would want me dead?" I asked, shaking my head in the hopes it would make my statement any less true, less believable. Severus merely scoffed, "Unfortunately, many people, my dear." And without another word, he rose from his seat and made his way to the common room exit. I stood up, almost spilling my tea as I attempted to follow him. "Where are you going, Severus?"

"To find answers." He spoke sternly, his dried cape billowing in the wind behind him as he turned to face me. "And I'll start with Karkaroff." A certain glint formed in his eyes, before disappearing from the common room, too quickly for me to catch up. But I was so tired, as though I hadn't slept in a week; the same feeling I felt the day Moody made us all practise the Imperious curse in class, to see how strong-willed each of us were. But the nagging feeling in the back of my mind told me it was not Karkaroff that would do such a thing. Perhaps, Dumbledore could not trust Alastor Moody as much as he thought...