Prologue

Third POV:

9 years ago...

Ten days before the funeral itself, Old L/n had passed away following a bout of illness. For its 75th Director, Wangsheng Funeral Parlor held a grand funeral, in accordance with the last wishes of the old man himself, to be conducted by Y/n L/n.

Only thirteen at the time, Y/n, who would later go on to become the Director in turn, made all the arrangements herself to the highest standard, greatly impressing the undertakers.

After the funeral, the thirteen-year-old Y/n grabbed her traveler's bag and crept out alone in the dead of night. In her bag were only a few rations, some water, and a means to create some light. She was headed to a mysterious and seldom-seen frontier.

Heading straight from Wuwang Hill, one may arrive at the "border." It is the line that separates life and death, the secrets of which have been managed by Wangsheng Funeral Parlor for generations. According to legend, it is a place where the souls of past relatives and the spirits of those with unfulfilled aspirations linger. For Y/n, this journey was a chance to see her grandfather once more before he departed forever.

For two days she journeyed unceasingly before finally arriving at her destination, yet was unable to locate her grandfather upon arrival. Between the innumerable spirits she walked, but not one of them resembled the old man.

She stayed there the whole day before falling asleep in exhaustion, awakening to a night sky and heavy dew. Around her were gathered a few lone spirits, clapping and laughing:

"Silly girl, why would Old L/n be here of all places? What were you thinking, looking for your relatives here?"

Not one to be swayed so easily, Y/n continued to wait, day after day. Her rations gradually disappeared and her water supplies drained away, but her grandfather did not appear. In the end, it was a little old woman who came to her.

She laid eyes on the exhausted Y/n and smiled as she spoke: "Look at your stubbornness, you're exactly like Old L/n. It's a shame, but none of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor Directors would ever linger here. You come from a family of plain speakers, so let me return the favor... Go back. Go back to where you came from."

The old woman bid farewell to Y/n, before passing over the border and into the distance. Y/n watched as the figure of the mysterious woman grew smaller and disappeared, as a sense of doubt tinged with relief manifested itself.

At last she came to the conclusion: her grandfather's absence was due to him having passed over the border as soon as he'd arrived, to the place where he was bound. He had been open and honest in life, leaving behind no regrets, so was it right for his departure to be framed in regretful terms?

With a smile, she set forth on the return journey.

The faraway moon had been casting a thin light on the way over but had now been replaced by the bright light of dawn. As she walked, Y/n thought of a saying that her grandfather had often quoted: "Live in life, die in death. Follow your heart, do what you can."

Four days later, the h/c-haired female bid her goodbyes to her two childhood friends, Qiao Ling and Cheng Xiaoshi.

Y/n was told by her parents that they would move to a different city named Liyue. Y/n's parents told her that she could come back here after she graduated in college and fulfill her grandfather's wishes to become the next director of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor.

Right now, Y/n was hugging tightly at Qiao Ling and Cheng Xiaoshi and doesn't want to let go of them.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much! It would be boring without you two!" Y/n whines, as she slowly let go of them from the hug.

"Us too, it wouldn't be the same without you here." Qiao Ling said.

"I'm going to miss you Qiao Ling, especially Cheng Xiaoshi, since he was easily fooled by my pranks." Y/n snickers.

"Hey- I'm not easily fooled by your pranks!" Cheng Xiaoshi pouts.

"Actually you are easily to be fooled, Cheng Xiaoshi." Qiao Ling deadpans at him.

"Y/n, It's time to go!" Y/n's father called Y/n to get inside the car.

"Goodbye you two, see you in the future." Y/n gave a sad smile, as she waves at them. She went inside the car and look at the window seeing her two friends waving at her.

'I wonder what's like in Liyue...'

Back to the present

A twenty-two year old young lady who has long/short h/c hair with e/c eyes with flower-shaped pupils stared at the building named "Time Photo Studio"

Y/n smiles that she's going to meet again to her two childhood friends. She messages Qiao Ling that she's going to visit them today.

"I'm finally back home."