221: Ungrateful Bastards (2)

Chapter 221: Ungrateful Bastards (2)

Neji was shocked and confused hearing he was getting blamed for killing a weapon of mass destruction, but he soon realised it made sense. Having a tailed beast in the village was more of a status quo, than anything.

But still, to blame him for it, even after he saved their Kazekage... Neji frowned.

Noticing his frown, Tsunade frowned too.

"There's no proof of that." Tsunade said, crossing her legs. "You are just assuming things. How do you even kill a fucking Tailed Beast? I don't suppose the Sand sees us as fools."

"...Tsunade-sama, language..." Shizune said from behind her.

But Neji just blinked. Ah, so nobody told the Sand village that it was Neji who killed Shukaku? Looking at Chiyo, even she was looking at him apologetically. Heh, so she wasn't a fox? Though he didn't make any such requests, everyone kept their mouths shut.

"Of course! The beast had pristine white skin. So either it was Copy Ninja Kakashi or that Hyuga boy. We don't think it's Kakashi because he's been a Ninja for long and people know his abilities all over the world. This boy on the other hand..." another of the geezers said, looking at Neji.

What type of logic was that?

Neji simply chuckled, making Tsunade turn to him. "What's wrong?"

"No, I just find it amusing." Neji looked at the two elders who talked. "Imagine this, you see a fucking tailed beast die with your own two eyes. Later, you interrogate the killer of a tailed beast and ask him compensate you? Doesn't that just sound hilarious? Assuming I am really the culprit, what would you do if I find this offensive and decide to bury the village under sand?"

"What?! You brat!" Every elder jumped on their seats, glaring at Neji. However, Tsunade slammed her first on the table, very lightly, as the table crackled from the middle.

"Gentlemen," she said. "Please stay calm. Otherwise, things might not end so well."

Neji almost chuckled out loud again, but managed to control himself at the last moment.

When everyone sat down, an invisible pressure still present in the air, Gaara of the Desert sighed deeply. "He has a point, everyone. I am not even strong enough to take care of one Akatsuki member, and yet he took care of both, with barely any help. And if it's really him who defeated the One-Tail, how do you expect your weak Kazekage to protect you if he decided to set you in blackflame?"

"K-kazekage-sama!" Some people tried, but Gaara just raised a hand.

"I apologize, Neji Hyuga, and I thank you for... saving my life." He lowered his head in respect. "I will repay your favour in any way possible, any day, you just have to ask."

Neji just smiled at him. From the way he talked, it seems Chiyo at least explained things to him (and to extension, Temari too). He was fine with that, not like Gaara was a bad guy at this point in time.

Though it seems he would need to reset his village hierarchy. Many aren't happy with him coming back, and more unhappy that he stood up for Neji.

"Now, the meeting is dismissed." Gaara said, and Tsunade left with Neji and Kakashi.

—★—

After the meeting ended, Shizune pulled Tsunade away after she insisted that she wanted to spend some time with Neji, and Kakashi left to check out the village.

Just when Neji thought he had some alone time, Shizune returned and pulled him to her bedroom.

Neji was shocked, covering his chastity. "Hey, miss, these types of things need time, we can't just-"