House of Allegiance

Layla's POV

"Has anyone seen Alfie this morning? I hope he's okay," Amber asked at breakfast. I shrugged. He hadn't been there when I woke up and went back upstairs to get ready but I figured he had been in the bathroom or something.

"Here he is," Fabian said as Alfie walked into the room.

"Alfie, how are you?" Amber asked.

"How did you do last night?" Added Patricia.
"Did you find anything?" Fabian questioned.

Alfie pulled aside his blazer and showed us the bottle of elixir.

"Oh, well done," Patricia exclaimed.

"Yeah, good job, Alfie!" My sister told him.

"What about the other thing?" Prodded Fabian.

"The demisphere? I looked everywhere, but I couldn't find anything that looked right," replied Alfie.

"Maybe it's not down in the cellar after all," said Patricia.

"Unleash the power and light your way to the demisphere hidden below," Nina repeated the clue but I just shrugged.

"You okay, boo?" Amber asked, looking at Alfie.

"Why did you all disappear and leave me last night?" He exclaimed. I had fallen asleep so I had no clue what happened last night so I just sat back as they told Alfie they had waited till they heard him say he was safely back in his room over the walkie-talkie before heading back themselves which seemed to confuse Alfie for some reason. He stormed out of the room leaving us all surprised.

*****

"Hey, Alfie. We've been talking. We've got some great news. How would you like to become an official member of the Sibuna club?" Amber asked gleefully as we spotted Alfie at school.

"Yeah. It was a really brave thing you did, getting the elixir from the cellar," my sister said.

"Oh, yeah. Great," stated Alfie.

"Is that it? I thought you would jump up and down or something," I said as I raised my eyebrows.

"It is great. Yeah, look. I'm pleased, yeah.

"Good. Initiation ceremony today after school.
By the burnt-out tree in the woods," Amber told him.

"See you then," he replied as we walked off.

*****

"Now throw the hat on the fire and repeat after me," Amber instructed.

"Do I have to? This is my favorite Jester's hat.
Without it, I am nothing," Alfie complained.

"It has to be something special," I shrugged at him.

"I, Alfred Marmaduke Lewis," Amber said.

"I, Alfie Lewis," Alfie repeated as he glared at Amber.

"Promise to protect the treasure of Anubis house and all its secrets," Amber continued.

"Promise to protect the treasure of Anubis house..." Alfie paused.

"And all its secrets," Amber prompted.

"And all its secrets," Alfie recited.

"You're now officially a member of the club. Sibuna!" Amber cheered.

"Sibuna," we all said.

Unleash the power.

"What did you say?" Nina asked as we looked over at Amber.