Speedy Gonzales

I just stood there, staring at the once occupied space on the bed while my brain tried to wrap itself around what had just happened.

No one said anything, they all kept silent as they, too, tried to process what had just happened.

Tooth had tried to reach out to me, but I just flinched out of her touch. I didn't feel like being touched right now. I didn't feel like talking now.

The roof of my mouth felt like sandpaper as all the moisture went to my eyes and the mucus that was starting to drip out of my nose. I blinked away my tears, not wanting for them to see me cry. I didn't want them to see me break. I didn't want to break. Not here. Not now. Not ever.

I could almost feel her delicate fingers flicking the middle of my forehead whenever I did something to annoy her. One of my closest friends, that Daffy. "I'm so sor-" North had started to apologize before I cut him off. "Stop," I said in a stiff voice as I rounded my feelings back into their compartment in my heart. I didn't want them to see. And I didn't want their pity. Pity makes me feel weak and helpless. I didn't like weak and helpless.

"Do not apologize," I muttered lowly, my accent barely there as I recollected myself. "I don't want your pity."

I felt them exchange glances amongst each other as they silently agreed, understanding. There was a moment of silence as they all let her death sink in and paid their respects to her, even though they barely even knew her. I appreciated them for that.

I took a deep breath and made my way out of the room, wanting to get away from there and see how things were going at her place. If Daffy was gone, what will become of her home? Will Man In Moon find an immediate replacement? Will he give the job to one of her T'Dykes? Who will control the amount of sorrow that goes into the world? Will that person be able to keep the balance of happiness and sadness from tipping? So many questions, and no answers.

"Ammo, wait."

I felt a furry paw wrap itself around my arm, stopping me halfway out the door. I looked down at the blueish-grey paw, and followed the arm that was connected to it up to meet a pair of concerned emerald green eyes. I tried pulling my arm back, but he only tightened his grip. "What?" I asked, looking him in the eye.

"Where ya goin'?" he questioned me. "Daffy's place. I need ta see how things are holdin' up there." I finally freed my arm from his grip. "With Daffy gone, I can only imagine what's going to happen to her realm and her T'Dykes," I shook my head sadly. "Then let us come with you," Tooth stood up.

I ran her request over and over in my head, debating whether to take them along. They might not be resistant enough against the depressing aura that surrounds and protects the place. There would be a possibility of them getting temporary depression. And what if her realm had gone into complete chaos? I can't put any of them in danger. I already have by associating with them. So how much more danger could I get them into?

"I don't think so."

I couldn't take the risk.