Keeping Up With My Pretences

And again. The ones written in this style of font are a character's thoughts or the present. The ones written in this style of font are a character's memories or the past.

________________________________________________________________________

Bunny's POV

I watched as the female figure slept in my queen-sized bed, the soft rise and fall of her chest indicating that she was sound asleep. Her breathing was calm and steady, a much better improvement compared to her previous uneven and ragged one. Her soft, sweet and spicy scent of a peculiar, yet intoxicating, mix of cinnamon and rain wafted up to my sensitive nose and traveled up my nostrils. Her scent had triggered something inside of me. It was unusual, but it wasn't not good, either.

She nearly scared the living shit out of all of us back at the Castello when she had collapsed from sheer exhaustion. Her body was glowing so brightly, a swirling ball of indigo at the very tips of her fingers growing larger and larger with each and every chant that she made. Her voice had not been her own, a hauntingly beautiful one had replaced it, like liquid gold. It was so smooth and velvety, I almost couldn't believe that it came from her.

Thankfully I had been able to catch her just as she was about to hit the ground.

"What the bloody hell happened ta her?" I demanded, my eyes darting from one person to another in panic. The others were looking at Ammo, concerned and trying to get close to her. But I pulled her away from their reach, clutching her shivering body in my arms. She was the very last of the female Pookas. She was the very last one besides me. And I didn't want to lose her too. I didn't want to be alone again.

"She used up too much of her energy to create Febe," one of the...T'Dykes, if I wasn't mistaken, was what they were called, spoke up. "This is what happens if she overdo's herself and what her body can handle," another one spoke up. "Then why didn't anyone stop the Sheila?" I asked, worry clouding my mind and etching itself onto my face. "Because if you stop her while she's in the middle of creating, her energy and her abilities would have gone to waste and Febe would have become an Uncompleted One."

I remembered her body refusing to relax as she remained tense no matter how I held her. I remembered the crimson coloured blood that stained her snowy white fur, tainting its pure colour. I rubbed my thumb over her hand as I tried to rid myself of the memory. But the image of her suffering like that had been forever imprinted onto the back of my mind, the picture still fresh even though it had been almost a full day since the incident.

"When she decides to create, she has to complete them," one piped up. "Or else there would be severe consequences, depending on the object she's creating," one continued as they slowly started to crowd into the room.

"Everyone should get back to work. Let us handle this," Febe finally spoke up in a strong and commanding voice once she finally realized where she was. The T'Dykes filed out of the room, only a few remaining to help Febe.