( ten ) what if it was vecna all along?

╔═════   ∘◦ ☽ ミ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝗠𝗢𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓮𝓷:"𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚏 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚟𝚎𝚌𝚗𝚊 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐?"

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓮𝓷:
"𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚏 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚟𝚎𝚌𝚗𝚊 𝚊𝚕𝚕
𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐?"

╚═════ ∘◦ ミ ☾ ◦∘ ══════╝

MACKENZIE SAT ON the arm of the couch in Mike Wheeler's living room. Squished on the couch next to her were Lucas, Max, and Dustin. All of their gazes were either focused on the floor or at the various people in the room. Mackenzie, personally, was staring at the floor, her arms crossed across her chest.

Standing in the room were Chief Powell, Officer Callahan, two other police officers, Karen Wheeler, Ted Wheeler, Claudia Henderson, Sue Sinclair, Charles Sinclair, Erica Sinclair, Elizabeth Tate, and Megan Tate. Mackenzie could practically feel the stares of her mother and little sister burning into the side of her face. She decided to ignore it as the officers questioned them.

"And what exactly were you all doing at the lake?" Chief Powell asked.

Mackenzie tucked some hair behind her ear, trying to stay calm. When she had come up with her plan of distracting the cops, she didn't exactly think of what they would do if they got caught. So their story was just . . . not there.

"Uh . . ." Dustin trailed off quietly. "It's compli—"

"We were ⁠ — we were just going for a walk," Max interrupted.

"A walk?" Officer Callahan repeated. "At nine P.M.?"

"To the lake," Dustin added, his voice going up extremely high. Officer Callahan gave him a look. "We were gonna . . . take a little swim. Little night swim."

Mackenzie did her best to not close her eyes and let out a breath of frustration like she so desperately wanted to. Seriously, who was going to believe that? Especially since Dustin's voice was basically up another octave.

"Dusty," Claudia voiced. "Someone was just murdered there."

"Yeah, we — ⁠we didn't realize that until we got there," Dustin replied.

"That's why we didn't swim," Lucas told them.

"And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?" Karen questioned.

"No," Max answered.

"Yes," Dustin said at the exact same time. "Uh . . ."