( epilogue ) no broken hearts?

╔═════   ∘◦ ☽ ミ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝗠𝗢𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

𝓮𝓹𝓲𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮:"𝚗𝚘 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚗 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜?"

𝓮𝓹𝓲𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮:
"𝚗𝚘 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚗 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜?"

╚═════ ∘◦ ミ ☾ ◦∘ ══════╝

THEY NEEDED TO hide Eleven, because apparently, she was being targeted by the government, who thought she was killing these people, not Vecna. The only place that they could was the original hiding spot for El. Not Mike Wheeler's basement, because one, they were moving everything out, and two, basically everyone in Hellfire and those were linked to Hellfire were under scrutiny because they were believed to be doing the killings too.

It was all such a bunch of bullshit, wasn't it?

Jonathan drove the Surfer Boy Pizza van through the woods, down the familiar path that they had taken many times before. He stopped and parked the van, and they all got out. Mackenzie got out after Will, looking up at the familiar cabin that had belonged to Hopper. El had been hidden here for months after she disappeared after her battle with the Demogorgon, and Mackenzie could only hope that it could do the same.

Her heart also sank. This was the place where her, El, and Max had truly bonded that night after going to the mall together. At the beginning of the year, it had been Mackenzie and Max without El. But now the roles were reversed. It was Mackenzie and El without Max. Neither of those options felt complete. Just . . . empty.

Mackenzie stopped in her tracks when she felt somebody stop behind her. She turned around, only to see El standing there, staring at the cabin with a mixture of sadness and relief. Mackenzie let Will, Mike, Jonathan, Nancy, and Argyle. If being back here was painful for Mackenzie, she didn't even know how El was feeling. This was where her and Hopper had truly bonded to become father and daughter, and now he was dead. Mackenzie was sure that all of those memories were coming back to El, too.

"I know," Mackenzie told her quietly. "It's hard. But we can go together."

El nodded. "Together."

The two of them followed after the group. Jonathan opened the door, and they all entered. The cabin was covered in dust, leaves, and dirt, most likely from the gaping hole in the roof. There were also holes along the walls. Mackenzie glanced around at them. She remembered being in her last summer, trying to dodge the arms of the Mind Flayer as it crashed through the cabin and attempting to pull El back down after the Mind Flayer's arm crashed through the roof and tried to take her away.