Chapter 9 | The Marshal (Part 5)

The group watches as the dragon emerges from its cave, going after the Tuskens who woke it. The Tuskens further back fire the harpoons, yanking on the ropes as the dragon tries to retreat.

"Dank farrik, it's going back in." Din says. 

The Tuskens continue holding the ropes as the dragon pulls back. One rope rips free from the post keeping it in the ground, pulling the Tuskens with it. The group on the ground begins firing their blasters and running at the dragon.

"It's retreating." He says. Cobb looks down at the detonator.

"I'm going to hit it." He says.

"No, wait. We only have one shot. We've gotta get it out." Din explains.

They watch as the group continues shooting and throwing things at the dragon. It roars as it approaches them, making them scatter.

"Now?" Cobb asks.

"Not yet. It's gotta come out further." He replies. 

The group continues their attempts to get the dragon closer. It rears up, roars, and spit acid on part of the group, dissolving them.

"Now!" Din says as the dragon reaches the charges buried under the sand. Cobb presses the button, causing a large explosion. The dragon roars and a giant cloud of sand surrounds it as a large gust of air makes the group stumble or fall. The group looks around for the dragon, which has disappeared.

"I don't think it's dead." Cobb says.

"Me either." Din responds.

The dragon roars as its head shoots out from the top of the mountain in front of them. It spews acid again, killing part of the group.

"It's picking us off like womp rats. Let's get after it!" Cobb says, grabbing his blaster. Din follows his lead, but stops quickly in front of Cordelia, who eyes the group below.

"Be careful." He tells her. She nods and grabs his hand.

"You, too." She says, bringing him in for a Keldabe Kiss. They separate and she runs down to join the others as Din and Cobb fly towards the dragon. While they shoot at it from the mountain, it spews acid again.

Cordelia is careful to avoid it and watches as the dragon dives towards Din and Cobb. They fly off and land near the bantha, aiming their blasters at where the dragon disappeared. They look around for it near the mountain, but it emerges from the sand dunes behind them. Cordelia runs to the side, away from where the dragon moves.

"There he is." Din says as the dragon chases after the small group running from it. He eyes the bantha behind them. "I've got an idea. Get its attention." 

Cobb bends over, shooting his rocket at the dragon. It hits it in the face, and it screeches before heading their way. Cordelia helps the others regroup and checks the group for any injuries.

"I got its attention! Now what?" Cobb asks.

"You still have that detonator?" He asks. Cobb hands it over.

"Take it! What's the plan?" He says.

"Take care of my family." Din says.

"What are you gonna do?" He asks.

"I don't know, but wish me luck." He replies before slamming the butt of his rifle into Cobb's jetpack, sending him flying into the air. 

Din activates the charges strapped to the bantha, who rips free from its tether. He grabs the rope, holding the bantha in place as the dragon approaches. Cordelia finishes helping the others and turns in time to see the beast quickly approaching him.

"No! Mando!" She screams, running as fast as she can towards him. The dragon reaches him and swallows him and the bantha whole. Her legs collapse underneath her, and she falls to the ground, her vision blurring with tears.

Cobb's jetpack finally runs out and he lands in the sand a few feet from Cordelia. He takes off his helmet and tosses it to the ground next to him as he gets up and approaches her. He crouches next to her, placing his hand on her shoulder.

The ground begins rumbling and Cordelia quickly wipes her tears and tightens her grip on her blaster, ready to kill the beast that took her husband.

The krayt dragon emerges from the sand and opens its mouth. Electricity zaps its mouth as Din flies out with his rifle activated, shocking the creature. He flips around and activates the charges, blowing the dragon up from the inside. The dragon screeches and the group falls to the ground as the explosion shakes the ground.

Din lands in front of the dragon and turns to look at it. The group cheers at the death of the dragon. Din turns to look at them and spots Cordelia running towards him. He drops his rifle and holds his arms out. She reaches him and shoves him as hard as she can, making him stumble backwards.

"Don't you ever do that again! I thought you were dead!" She cries, tears filling her eyes again. Din quickly wipes his armor clean and pulls her into his chest. She clutches to him, pressing herself as close as possible to him.

"I'm sorry, Cyar'ika. I didn't mean to scare you like that. I would never leave you." He says, cupping her face in his hands and tilting her head up to look at him. He leans down for a Keldabe Kiss.

"I love you." She says, tightening her arms around him and closing her eyes.

"I love you, too." Din says. He wraps his arms around her and keeps his helmet resting on her forehead, wishing they were in the Crest. He would do anything to show her that he was okay and that nothing would take him away from her.

***

Cordelia sits on the ground with her back to the speeder as Din finishes their preparations. The Child sits in her lap, playing with her fingers and cooing up at her. Cobb approaches, armor packed up, and sets it on the speeder.

"Sorry, I didn't have time to explain." Din says.

"No need. This was well-earned." Cobb replies.

"It was my pleasure." He says as they shake hands.

"I hope our paths cross again." The Marshal says.

"As do I." The Mandalorian says. 

"Oh, and you tell your people I wasn't the one that broke that." He says, pointing to the broken jetpack. Cobb looks at Cordelia and smiles, waving at her and the Child. She smiles back with a wave as he walks away.

Cordelia watches Din as he finishes tying everything down. He holds his hand out and she takes it. He pulls her to her feet, but doesn't let go, instead pulling her closer.

"Are you ready to go home?" He asks. She smiles and nods, leaning against him.

"Yeah. We can get this gross armor off. I love you, but you stink right now." Cordelia says. He chuckles and pinches her side. She yelps and moves to the speeder to set the Child in his bag, glaring at him as she does. 

Din smiles under his helmet, happy that she's feeling better after the fright he gave her earlier. He climbs onto the speeder and pulls her to sit in front of him as she approaches. He starts the journey back to Mos Eisley and Cordelia leans back against his chest, drained after fighting a dragon and thinking the love of her life had died. 

"Rest, Delia. I've got you." Din murmurs, moving his arms so he can support her better.

"Love you." She mumbles, already half asleep. Din speeds up, trying to get home as fast as possible, wanting nothing more than to be able to hold his wife with no barriers between them.

Hey guys! I'm updating early for you because I'll be too busy tomorrow and because I like how this chapter turned out :)