New to the Country (SS)

Introduction:
Y/N Y/L/N is the new librarian of Hogwarts from a foreign country. One day, she overhears some students making fun of her and her accent. Somebody finds her crying in the halls - Professor Severus Snape.

This is a request from an anon on Tumblr. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 7/28/2022
———————————————

Word count: 1.1k
Warning: Making fun of one's accent

Y/N Y/L/N has been the new librarian of Hogwarts for a month or so. The woman was really excited when she first came to the school - she had never been to Scotland before. In fact, she hadn't been to other countries besides her own. So it was indeed exciting.

However, she was also really nervous coming there. Not only because she had never been to the country before, but also because of her English - she's better at reading and writing it rather than speaking and listening.

The language barrier causes some problems sometimes, unfortunately. She had only been there for a few days before a student yelled at her - the Ravenclaw student asked for a book about Hippogriffs, but the poor librarian misunderstood and handed her a book about Hydrangea, a plant.

The student was furious and even threw the book at the poor woman. She wanted to cry, but she kept her tears from falling. It will get better soon...

A month later, it has gotten a little bit better. Only a little bit, though. She barely speaks to anyone - the incident with the Ravenclaw has scared the foreigner. She tries her best to avoid verbal communication with anyone.

The teachers are usually busy grading papers, so they don't engage in a whole lot of conversation with her. Minerva has tried to talk to her, but Y/N usually just gives her a shy and nervous smile before replying with as few words as possible.

She's afraid of making mistakes - and she's really afraid of any misunderstandings. She doesn't want the Deputy Mistress throwing her drink at her.

It's now Friday, which means it's the weekend once the day is over!

Y/N will definitely be spending her time on reading - she always reads books in English and has even started to read the words out loud to herself.

She always cringes when hearing her accent, but she has to keep doing it. It's her only way of ever progressing.

She feels defeated whenever she comes across a word she has no idea how to pronounce. She's too ashamed to ask anyone - she's sure they'll laugh at her.

As the day comes to an end, Y/N sighs in relief. It's curfew for the students soon, so she can easily walk to her private chambers without meeting any of them on her way.

She puts a few books back on the right shelves before leaving the library. However, as she leaves, she overhears a few Gryffindor students on their way to their common room.

"Hey, what do you guys think the librarian does during the weekend?" one of them asks.

"No idea, probably reading" another one says, shrugging.

A third one snorts. "She definitely doesn't read in English. Have you heard her accent? It's horrible! She can't even pronounce 'library' correctly. How embarrassing is that? She should probably go back to her own country where people actually understand her" they suggest.

Hearing their words, Y/N hurries away with tears in her eyes. She tries her best not to cry, but fails. She sobs as she walks towards her private chambers, her vision blurry from the tears.

Maybe they are right. Maybe she should never have come here...

She's startled when she hears a velvety voice.

"Ms. Y/L/N?" they ask.

Y/N widens her eyes. It's the Potions Master, Severus Snape! Oh, how embarrassing that he found her like this...

She may or may not have a small crush on the mysterious man in black.

They haven't really uttered a word to each other before, though. Out of all her colleagues, she has been the most shy in his presence. She really thinks that he's good-looking.

He clears his throat as she doesn't answer. Her cheeks instantly turn red - she forgot to answer him! All because she was daydreaming about him!

"I apologise, Professor Snape. I should go..." she whispers as she quickly turns to leave. He however gently grabs her arm.

"No need to run away from me. Now, why are you upset?" he questions, raising an eyebrow.

She blinks a few times. Did he just ask why she's upset? She thought out of all people, he would be the person to care the least.

"Just a bad day" she tells him.

Her heart skips a beat when he offers her a handkerchief.

"Thank you" she says, grabbing it before wiping away her tears.

"I just happen to have overheard a few students talking about you. I will make sure to take plenty of house points from them for talking ill of a staff member" he assures her.

She offers him a shy smile. "Thank you" she says.

Snape clears his throat. "Anyway, I have been wondering... If you ever need someone to help you with pronunciation and things like that, I would gladly help you. You may knock on my door if you ever need any help" he tells her.

That surprises her - would he really help her?

"I don't know what to say..." she shyly says, fidgeting with her hands. He's being too kind to her. How can she ever repay him?

He smirks. "Well, you can say yes to a drink at the Three Broomsticks tomorrow. If you want to, that is" he states.

She widens her eyes. Did he just ask her out?

He chuckles at her. "I hope you do not find my invitation too bold... I know we don't know each other, but I would like to change that... It is nice with a colleague who's the same age as me" he admits.

She smiles at that. "Thank you, Professor Snape. I would love to get to know you, too. I have a crush on you" she accidentally blurts out, too happy from receiving his invitation.

She immediately puts a hand over her mouth. Why did she tell him that?! Now he will take his invitation back!

"I-I apologise, my accent is horrible. I meant to say-" she says just as he stops her.

"I perfectly understood what you meant. It just so happens that I have a crush on you, too" he says silkily, stepping closer to her.

Her heart is beating fast. Does he really mean that?

"So... Tomorrow at the Three Broomsticks?" he questions.

She shyly smiles at him. "Tomorrow at the Three Broomsticks" she repeats, confirming.

He brings his lips to her left ear. "I'll look forward to it" he drawls. He suddenly kisses her cheek.

Her face turns crimson red - he kissed her cheek!

As she touches the cheek he just kissed, Snape strolls away with a smirk on his face.

Neither of them can wait for tomorrow.
———————————————

Author's note:
There will be a part two on 9/16/2022!

The next one shot "Darkness Never Wins" (Palladium, Valtor) will be published on 8/2/2022!