36. {eichen house}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

deucalion was still sitting in the corner with the large iv drip of wolfsbane solution as hayden paced around the room. franchie was sitting against the wall behind her, daydreaming.

"do i make you two nervous?" deucalion questioned.

that caught both the girls' attention. they hadn't realised but, they had been stressing about the whole eichen house, dark moonee, deucalion and beast situauion.

franchie looked up at the man, getting to her feet and approaching him.

"shouldn't you already know the answer to that?" hayden inquired.

deucalion shrugged, "well, i thought it would be more polite to ask. but, yes, girls your age shouldn't have a resting heart rate of 110 beats per minute."

"i mean, i get heart palpitations sometimes. when i'm nervous about something i'm not even thinking about or-" franchie began.

hayden sighed. "babe." was all she said.

franchie glanced up at her. "right." she nodded. "sorry."

"how about you unshackle me from this... thing, and we'll all be a little more at ease?" deucalion suggested. "maybe your heart will stop palpitating."

"how stupid do you think we are"

"since i highly doubt you want me to answer that question honestly, let me propose an alternative- you set me free, and i'll tell you a secret about those talons sitting in that jar over there." deucalion offered.

fran gave him a look of confusion before she peered over at the table, where the jar of belasko's talons, that theo gained from the desert wolf, were sitting.

"i may be blind, but my other senses paint a very detailed picture." deucalion informed them. "i know the talons were created by the dread doctors."

"so, what?" hayden scoffed.

"so, theo believes he can fit them onto his own claws like a couple of press-on nails?" deucalion asked, making fran giggle. "use them to siphon the power from the beast?" deucalion then chuckled in amusement. "good luck with that."

"what do you mean?" hayden questioned in concern.

"the dread doctors would have designed those talons with a specific frequency... for a specific person. as genetic chimeras yourselves, i would've thought you'd understand how often the body rejects an organ." deucalion stated. "especially from an outside donor."

hayden's eyes widened in shock. "if he puts them on, then..."

"he'd die." franchie gasped. she didn't want theo to die. he wasn't the best person in the world and he wasn't particularly kind to her, but she felt like she owed him loyalty.